[RP TownTalk] LIQUOR STORE OPPOSITION CITIZEN ACTION: **New Online Petition** & Volunteer Meeting/"Stop-By" Petition Signing at the S&J - 1PM - Sunday, February 17th at 1PM

Heather Blanchard heather.blanchard at mac.com
Sat Feb 16 04:07:40 UTC 2008

YOU CAN HELP!

1) SIGN AN ONLINE PETITION! Just click to: http://www.ipetitions.com/
petition/Riverdale_Citizens_Say_No/

2) Saturday, Feb 16th - CENTRAL KENILWORTH AVENUE REVITALIZATION
WORKSHOP - Join fellow citizens to discuss and prioritize actions
that address issues affecting the Central Kenilworth Avenue Corridor.
This community meeting is will be held at Templeton Elementary
School, 6001 Carters Lane in Riverdale Park from 9AM - 2PM.

3) Sunday, Feb 17th - LIQUOR STORE OPPOSITION CITIZEN ACTION
VOLUNTEER MEETING & DRIVE BY PETITION/LETTER SIGNING - Please come by
the S&J from 1PM - 3PM on Sunday, February 17th to meet fellow
volunteers or just to come by to sign the petition and a letter. At
3pm we will break up into groups to walk our neighborhood/ward for
petition signing. Come meet your neighbors! POC: Heather Blanchard,
703-593-3823 (cell)

4) Tuesday, Feb 26th - THE HEARING - PLEASE ATTEND TO VOICE YOUR
CONCERN - The liquor board hearing will take place at 10AM at 6200
Baltimore Avenue, 3rd Floor. We will all have speaking roles at the
hearing, along with providing letters and petitions against the
approval of the license.

NEWS FROM THE BOARD
This week I talked to the liquor board staff and they provided a few
details on what exactly is happening. Just as background, Prince
George's County does not grant liquor store licenses anymore.
Currently, any new establishment must acquire their license from an
existing business within the same legislative district. It is common
practice that these licenses get transferred from business to
business. In the case of this applicant, from what I understand, they
will be going after a B+ license which is a unique and very old
license. This means they would have a facility which would be half a
liquor store and half a restaurant.  We are opposing the attempt to
add a liquor store (in any form) on the premises to the already
saturated alcohol outlet availability on the Kenilworth Corridor.

Did you know that there are 16 liquor stores licenses of various
forms in Riverdale? This means we have 1 alcohol outlet per 1,000
citizens.  According to folks on Towntalk, there are 6 liquor stores
within a 1/4 mile of the proposed liquor store/restaurant.

Thanks to all of you who I met at the polls on Tuesday night - I am
was overwhelmed that so many citizens who were so concerned. We
already have a head start on our petition drive and letter campaign!

Again, hope that you all can get involved!

Heather Blanchard