[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

cranky old coot lking at knob.com
Sat Feb 16 15:52:50 UTC 2008

I applaud your motives Dwight, but I have experienced Qwest in Colorado.
You don't really want their phone service!

Back when this all came to light my guess was that Qwest clocked efforts
to get a higher profit margin in righteous indignation.

For example, they (Qwest) contracted with the state to provided fiber
optic service to each county in Colorado. They have completed the
contract in all counties except one.  Yes, the exception is the county I
care about. The whole county has only one microwave link for all their
phone and internet connections. OK, so there is only one town  in the
county and it is 50 miles from the next town, in the next county down
the mountain, BUT still...

This is a throttle on the local economy!  Every afternoon as local
businesses close out their credit card sales, every one else's internet
service slows down as more of the microwave link is allocated to phone
service.

Maybe the world is not black & white

COC