[RP TownTalk] East Campus & Tax Increment Financing

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:44:04 UTC 2008

I was surprised to see that too, Jim.  The rationale behind TIFs was
to spur redevelopment in blighted areas where no other hope was
evident for attracting the needed investment. It would seem a stretch
to label the corner of Paint Branch Rd & Baltimore Ave as "blighted."

I'm not sure how that works in this case, given that this is
university property. Since the university is not normally a tax
collector, who loses in this case as a result of the foregone
revenues?