[RP TownTalk] Liquor Store Meeting

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Jan 29 19:00:33 UTC 2008

Nancy,
6200 Baltimore Avenue Its the tall building on the corner of Queensbury
Rd and Rt #1 (Baltimore Ave). It is the building next to McDs, across
Queensbury Rd from CVS, and across Rt #1 from the Calvert House.  There
is a large parking lot behind the building along Queensbury Rd.

 From Town Center, take Queensbury west, towards Rt#1, Cross Rt
#1/Baltimore Ave at the light and just past the building turn right into
the large parking lot.

 From East/West Hwy  turn south, towards DC on Rt#1/Baltimore Ave at the
traffic light. At the next light turn right onto Queensbury Rd. Just
past the building turn right into the parking lot.

JMHO - but  -

Public meetings are an interesting dynamic. I would think that numbers
count, even if you don't feel you can speak. It depends on how they run
the meeting but an approach I have see is people standing up together.
For example you, you daughter and husband stand up together and only one
of you speaks for your group.

It is usually better to have though out what you want to say ahead of
time. This helps you remember important points and it helps you not to
ramble. (Yes this is "do as I say, not as I do" advice. ;-)  There is an
interesting balance between being over prepared and disorganized.  On
one hand an extemporaneous heartfelt statement carries weight. On the
other hand a short organized written  expression of your feelings is
also good.

This is a public forum and we, as residents, of course want represent
Riverdale Park is a positive light.  (JMHO again) I would think we want
to tell the board about 1) the traffic issues at Riverdale and
Kenilworth and how a drive through store of any kind impact public
safety (look at how McDonald's effects traffic), 2) The other liquor
stores in the area, 3) The problematic *activity* already in the area
related to public drinking.

We, as a diverse community, would not be well served (JMHO again) by
raising the issues in terms of ethnic or economic stereotypes. The
problems resulting from public drinking are the same whether they occur
in Riverdale Park or Georgetown, or in the little park at the corner of
16th and U Street in D.C.

Speaking of rambling - I think it is time to medicate the COC.

Lou