[RP TownTalk] Mansions, Public, & Dogs

Nancy Mooney nbmooney1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 15:39:18 UTC 2008

I have resisted chiming in but since the conversation continues - here goes.

We are up at the mansion with some frequency, and it is truly a marvelous treasure.  It is cooler, quieter, and serene.  The gardens are fantastic and we have great fun trying to figure out what all there is growing!  It is one of the reasons we chose to stay in Riverdale when we purchased our second home. The locked gate on Oglethorpe has been a great disappointment to us.

I've not had a problem with piles of dog waste. Just have not ever seen any that I can remember.

My family and I HAVE had significant issues with loose dogs running up to us in a frenzy, jumping up on us, leaping an jumping around our feed, and being very, very rude.

On more than one occasion we've had to leave because the small children in our group were very frightened by the bounding dogs.

OK, dog lovers, I know what you're thinking "There just being friendly dogs".  YOU know that.  My FAMILY does NOT know that.  We don't know your dogs. The children, especially, only see an 80 or more pound missile coming there way, with NO ONE CONTROLLING THEM.

Most AMAZINGLY is we've NEVER, EVER had the owners call them off.  The dogs continue to bound around, jump on us, etc.  If the owner does haphazardly call their dogs there is no apology, and they are usually amused; they don't even get it.  It's horrible for us.  Again, this has happened several times over the years.

I can promise you that my child has never run up to you and jumped on you with sharp claws. If she did, I would put a stop to it and apologize profusely.  In fact, she won't even approach your dog without asking your permission.  She especially would never jump on a small child and frighten her - Why are dogs not expected to be trained and have good manners?

I don't care if your dog is off a leash and having a blast running all over the place; that's great!  I'm all for it and enjoy seeing a dog having a great time; let's get a dog park!!  If it is polite to me I would love to become acquainted - anyone may sniff my hand at any time.  However, if your dog is running around out of control and jumping on strangers, it is just wrong.  I wouldn't take my child to a restaurant or on an airplane if she hadn't been taught how to act properly.  I expect the same of dog owners.

To the kind and thoughtful dog owners that I consider good neighbors and enjoy seeing while out on walks - THANK YOU!

Thanks for letting me have my say.

Nancy