[RP TownTalk] Wachovia and the Field of Rubble

Lou King lking at knob.com
Wed Jul 16 15:51:33 UTC 2008

Alan K. Thompson wrote, On 7/16/2008 8:04 AM:
> For examples of "hands-off" "market-driven" development look at
> Kenilworth Avenue on the other side of town, or Route 1 south of
> Hyattsville.
Nor do I think a "hand-off" model is the best answer. That is no more
workable than the "Groundhog Day" approach. Community involvement is a
good thing. That is why the community was involved in developing the
M-U-TC standards; Why there were multi opportunities for public comment
during the M-U-TC process and the town council process.

What drives me to my meds is the apparent feeling that community
involvement means all 2,000 voters in RP get to take their "bit at the
apple" SERIALLY.  The process ended when our representatives said 'Ok
this is the best we can do.'  The rest to be fare is (should be) just talk.

> "For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat
> and wrong."  I think the reason that, as Cranky said, "development
> STOPS at the Riverdale Park line" is due to a lot of things, not all
> of which are controlled by people who live here (my read of the
> Cafritz development, for instance, is that Riverdale Parkians were
> /generally/ approving).  Getting good development is not easy, and
> requires a combination of sticking by whatever ideological guns you
> have in your holsters, and compromising when you need to be flexible.
I would also suggest when you agree to a compromise, stick with it. When
we left the learning environment of the playground we should have left
behind do-overs. Life is not golf so no Mullagons .

COC