[RP TownTalk] Wachovia and the Field of Rubble

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Wed Jul 16 20:05:23 UTC 2008

I think there is a mistaken assumption that the Town is "making it hard to
build."  The Town - under multiple administrations - has not been a source
of delay in this project and by having a zoning plan that delineates what
the community considers desirable, we are offering a fast track option for
developers who choose to meet the zoning standards.
This particular project has had many twists and turns, but it has not been
in any way due to the Town placing undue burden, or delay, or otherwise on
this development. We waived the zoning standards, we extended deadlines on
contracts, we provided land rights - it is pretty hard for me to see how the
Town could have provided more. Over the last 8 years, the Town has
repeatedly "given to get" in this situation.

The builder has encountered challenges to the project at different times -
Eckerd Corp went out of business, he had to find a new tenant, there are
some sewer and water challenges on the site, negotiating with a church
congregation is hard, and lots of others things --- none of which have
anything to do with the Town slowing down or speeding up the development
process.
- Alice

--
Alice Ewen Walker