[RP TownTalk] Mayor Archer and the county time line

Nancy Augustine nya_md at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 15:45:14 UTC 2008

 From the handful of anecdotes I've heard from people in the trades and
running businesses, my impression is that DC is the worst, practically
obstructionist. Then PG is next - lots of bureaucratic hoops, lots of
waiting, adherence to rules prevails over common sense (we could have a
debate over whether that's a good thing). Montgomery County also has a
lot of hoops, but they are (or give the impression of being) more
organized and more helpful. In the Virginia counties, things go more
smoothly if you're a regular and know the unwritten rules. Kinda clubby.

Bureaucracy and procedures can be a good thing, especially if the
multiple steps are safeguards and contribute to getting activity lined
up with regulations. Unfortunately, processes have a way of taking on a
life of their own, and processes managed by different offices are often
not coordinated. Poor management and oversight at the top levels can
allow contradictory requirements, overlapping and duplicative
procedures, and a lot of frustration to get in the way of smooth
operations.

~Nancy A

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Dwight Holmes wrote:

> Yes, let me echo Marita's thoughts. I read the mayor's post while
traveling and didn't have a chance to reply then, but wanted to.
Specifically, what I'm curious about is we often hear that PG Co.'s
permitting process is slow, bureaucratic, frustrating. My question is,
is there any reason to believe that it is significantly different in
neighboring counties? Is it really PG Co that's the problem, or this
just the way it is, what with all the various requirements and
oversight rules that naturally go into vetting applications for
permits in this day and age?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Novicky, Marita
<MNovicky at som.umaryland.edu <mailto:MNovicky at som.umaryland.edu>
<mailto:MNovicky at som.umaryland.edu> > wrote:

> Mayor Archer/Vernon:  thanks for updating us on what it took (County
> time line wise) to get the burnout building torn down and cleared
> away.
> Clearly, nothing happens fast at the Prince George's County level, but
> was proud to hear that the Town issued its permit in 1 day.  Thanks
> again and great work.  Marita
subscription processing only

For more information about Riverdale Park, visit
http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us <http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us>
  <http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us>