[RP TownTalk] Budget in Town Crier

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Sun Jun 1 22:44:57 UTC 2008

I was very happy to see a copy of the proposed budget in the June issue of
the Town Crier.  In looking it over, I don't have any objections to Police  or
Public Works.  One item is a concern to me and I would like to hear what
others think.  The Econ Development Promotion.  When I attended a  recent Economic
Development meeting, one issue that came up was that Kennedy  Smith who was
hired by the town to promote Ec D still had not submitted her  report.  I
understand she lives in California.  I remember attending  the first meeting
several years ago when Kennedy Smith showed a power point  presentation, which was
basically a resume.  It was my understanding at  that time that the town would
hire her as a consultant for $5000.  Now I  understand we have paid her many
more $$$$.  She is not someone who is  noticeably seen around town nor have I
seen her at the Economic Development  meetings, nor at the Riverdale Park
Business Associaiton meetings and I don't  see where we have benefited from her
consultations.  I do notice that our  Rep Eric Olson is doing a great job with
EcD and he is FREE!  I object to  the $35000 if it is going to pay for her
without results.  I also think  that Econ Development Promotion expenses should be
upon the backs of those who  benefit from the promotion - (read Developers)
If we can't impose a tax on  owners of vacant buildings, there certainly are
some things we can do.   Maybe charge for town owned parking spaces even if the
buildings are  vacant.  Maybe set up some codes to encourage owners of vacant
buildings to  get them rented.  Maybe give owners of rented buildings a break
on license  fees and impose a very large license fee for vacant buildings.
Maybe put  together a task force to come up with ideas to encourage smart
development  in our town and discourage empty buildings.  I would like the $35000
line  item for EcD to be deleted and I would not mind if it went to the Police
or  Public Works.
#2  I also read about the idea of "privatizing trash  collection:".  I am
very much against this. I would like to see the  town continue to pick up trash.
(It was one of the reasons we incorporated  in the 1920's)  If money needs to
be saved, then I would suggest not  purchasing bucket trucks, street cleaning
machines etc which are very large  expenses and instead outsourcing these
particular jobs.  If we want to  outsource town services, then let's not stop at
trash collection let's go all  the way and dissolve our town charter and go
back to an all county service  area.
Audrey

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.