[RP TownTalk] Lyme disease

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 13:38:38 UTC 2008

Well, it turns out that (at least) two people in our house have Lyme
disease. And I personally know of at least 4 other people in town who
have (or had) it. This seems like an epidemic to me.

Apparently our warmer winters mean that the tick population (along
with the mosquito population) is exploding. When my oldest son was
diagnosed, the doctor told me he was the second person he'd seen THAT
DAY with the disease.

Please, everyone, read up about this disease and be aware of the
symptoms. You can get it from being bitten by a tick. The trouble is
that the ticks are tiny, and you may not even be aware you've been
bitten. Even worse, the characteristic rash* only shows up in 70-80%
of cases, so if you didn't get the rash, it doesn't mean you don't
have the disease.

You can learn more at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/Lyme/

>From that site:
* The first sign of infection is usually a circular rash called
erythema migrans or EM.  This rash occurs in approximately 70-80% of
infected persons and begins at the site of a tick bite after a delay
of 3-30 days.  A distinctive feature of the rash is that it gradually
expands over a period of several days, reaching up to 12 inches (30
cm) across. The center of the rash may clear as it enlarges, resulting
in a bull's-eye appearance. [snip]  Patients also experience symptoms
of fatigue, chills, fever, headache, and muscle and joint aches, and
swollen lymph nodes.  In some cases, these may be the only symptoms of
infection.

Untreated, the infection may spread to other parts of the body within
a few days to weeks, producing an array of discrete symptoms.  These
include loss of muscle tone on one or both sides of the face (called
facial or "Bell's palsy), severe headaches and neck stiffness due to
meningitis, shooting pains that may interfere with sleep, heart
palpitations and dizziness due to changes in heartbeat, and pain that
moves from joint to joint.  [snip]

After several months, approximately 60% of patients with untreated
infection will begin to have intermittent bouts of arthritis, with
severe joint pain and swelling.  Large joints are most often affected,
particularly the knees. In addition, up to 5% of untreated patients
may develop chronic neurological complaints months to years after
infection.  These include shooting pains, numbness or tingling in the
hands or feet, and problems with concentration and short term memory.

Most cases of Lyme disease can be cured with antibiotics, especially
if treatment is begun early in the course of illness.  However, a
small percentage of patients with Lyme disease have symptoms that last
months to years after treatment with antibiotics.  These symptoms can
include muscle and joint pains, arthritis, cognitive defects, sleep
disturbance, or fatigue.

------

This disease can be debilitating. Please be aware, and get to a doctor
quickly for treatment if you suspect it.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland
sarah.wayland at gmail.com