[RP TownTalk] pet stations

euniverz at aol.com euniverz at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 21:46:35 UTC 2008

If the town, or an organization, or through a grant, someone wants to install pet waste stations, that's up to them.? However, you asked other neighborhood dog owners like me?if they wanted to foot the bill and I respectfully declined.??

 I just?don't find that much dog waste in my travels around our greenspaces.? And in my experience,?most of the people who walk their dogs in this neighborhood and around the park seem to be responsible dog owners as well.?

The question would be, as you mention, if a station WOULD actually help.? I believe that, in reality, most folks who would actually think to pick up after their dog already have a bag.? If they don't have a bag, or won't pick up, it's?more likely than not that the pet waste pick up station is too far away from the "event" for the person to

1.? walk to the pet waste station

2.? get a bag

3.? return to the "scene" and actually be able to FIND the pile again (an important consideration, believe me)

4.? retrieve it, and

5.? walk back again to the pet waste receptacle to deposit the waste.

Don't get me wrong, I find pet waste stations to be a sweet gesture and it really makes the statement that a park or greenspace is "dog friendly".? Can they hurt?? No, of course not.? Can they help with the problems you mentioned?? I'm not convinced yet.

I'm far more concerned about the?human waste...the syringes, the beer bottles, the used, feces-filled diapers, and the used condoms that I see strewn about?the park when I walk my dogs...

Adrianne