[RP TownTalk] Dogs, access and Riversdale Mansion

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:11:40 UTC 2008

Friends and neighbors,

I have recently received a complaint from Ed Day, director of Riversdale
Mansion, about people allowing their dogs to run free on the house grounds.
Every entrance is clearly posted that dogs need to be leashed and to not
leave their droppings behind.  Ed informs me that more than one person who
he recognizes as town residents routinely ignore this posting.

Such actions are not only a violation of the grounds rules at Riversdale,
but are also a patent violation of our town code and therefore a concern for
our police and code enforcement officials. I hope a word to the wise will
suffice, if not the law will be enforced.

Unfortunately this issue comes on the heels of problems last summer with
vandalism on the grounds and to the structures. We seem to have this problem
under control now, but please report any suspicious activity you might see
to the police immediately.

Ed has shown me a number of correspondences from those higher up in Park and
Planning and involved in historic preservation that the grounds should not
only be "protected" against dogs visiting under any circumstances--except as
assistants for the blind--but that as a national historic site the grounds
should be locked during all hours that the mansion is not staffed.

Now, both Ed and I are in agreement that we do not want to see things go
there, but we the residents of Riverdale Park have a significant role to
play in protecting this site. If you see someone on the grounds with their
dogs off a leash, politely direct their attention to the signs requiring a
leash.  If you see anyone damaging or threatening the facility please call
the police immediately!

I believe that by acting together as a community we can all continue to have
easy and ready access to this facility, which I believe you will agree with
me is a true treasure for our community, our state and our nation.

Before concluding, I would like to state in writing what I've previously
only said orally for our town's many dog owners.  I will gladly support and
use the prestige of my office to facilitate the creation of a dog park in
Riverdale Park.  If a group of dog owners will organize themselves and
contact me on this matter I will assist you in such a venture.  There is
substantial Park and Planning area in the town, and I am convinced that
agency will work with us if an organized effort from dog owners is mounted.

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor