[RP TownTalk] EPA Wants To Stop Toxic Gas Reporting

Arletta Gustafson arlettag at comcast.net
Sat Mar 1 02:31:04 UTC 2008

I 've mentioned before that I belong to Better World Club instead of AAA.
Here is a bulletin I just received.  I thought that those of us (I'd like to
think that it's all of us, but I'm not THAT delusional) that are interested
in the environment or government policy may be interested in this. I hope
you all find it interesting.

Arletta

<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/922173d3719375b7/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net>
http://betterworldclub.com/go_forward/index.htm

<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/922173d3719375b7/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net>
http://betterworldclub.com/go_forward/index.htm

February 2008

GET MOVING

  <http://www.cooleremail.net/users/betterworld/library129.jpg> Time Out: We
Have a New Record Holder!

EPA Chief Has Received More Driving Change Petitions Than Anyone In
Government, Business, Or Organized Crime (Or Any Combination Thereof)

This Time, He Wants to Drop Requirements That Factory Farms Report Their
Emissions of Toxic Gas

Oooh..."Reporting"...Sounds Dangerous

Congratulations to Administrator Johnson. (You Haven't Been Doing Steroids,
Have You?)

Last month, EPA vetoed the attempt of California and other states to
regulate pollution generated by automobiles--in this case, greenhouse gases.

This month, EPA is trying to drop requirements that factory farms report
their emissions of toxic gas, despite findings by the agency's own
scientists that the gases pose a health threat. (Makes you look forward to
next month, doesn't it?)

Farms have been required to report large emissions of hydrogen sulfide and
ammonia from animal manure since the 1980s. The EPA doesn't even set limits
for the emissions. All they require is that farms disclose emissions over
certain levels. Local public health officials say that knowing who was
reporting large releases of the gases would be invaluable if people in the
area start getting sick from emissions.

The EPA first proposed dropping the farm emissions reporting requirement
after communities sued several large farms for damages and stricter controls
of emissions. Apparently protecting business interests from lawsuits trumps
protecting US citizens from toxic gasses.

<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/e7086b34e89c1fea/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> What's most troubling is that, once again,
EPA Chief Stephen L. Johnson is ignoring the recommendations of the career
EPA scientists on his staff. One agency scientist, Roy L. Smith, called the
ammonia reporting requirements "appropriately protective, though not
overprotective," of public health. In tests of the air near factory farms,
he found that ammonia concentrations slightly over the reportable levels
caused respiratory irritation and that the minimum reportable emissions of
hydrogen sulfide "could cause acute respiratory irritation and effects to
the central nervous system."

We urge our readers to Drive Change by contacting
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/e7086b34e89c1fea/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson and
letting him know that protecting citizens from toxic gasses is more
important than protecting factory farms from lawsuits.

  _____

EPA Chief Stephen L. Johnson Continues to Block States' Decision to Set
Higher Emissions Standards...And To Refuse to Tell Congress Why

As we've been reporting since 2002
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/1d1d3ca660906558/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> , California has been trying to strengthen
regulations limiting greenhouse gas emissions from light trucks and
passenger vehicles. The proposed limits would have phased in gradually,
resulting in a 30% cut in new vehicles' greenhouse gas emissions by 2016.
Sixteen other states joined California and adopted the same standards.

After five years of stalling, EPA Administrator Stephan L. Johnson has
finally deigned to respond to the states' waiver request with a "NO" in
December of 2007.

Since then, all hell has broken loose. The states and several environmental
groups are suing the EPA, and Congress has subpoenaed the agency demanding
documents showing why they denied the waiver request. Complete
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/a9a70d66f614965e/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> Story

  _____

<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/7ae03ca7e552c87d/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net>
Better
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/0d354e093e3d1590/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> World Club signed up as a supporter, we think
you should too. Click
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/7ae03ca7e552c87d/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> here to learn more about Earth Hour 2008.

  _____

Haiku Activism!

The true spirit of Bushido
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/e3215bb0fa4fc4b6/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net>  calls for a balance between the art of war
and just plain old art. Once you've contacted Stephen L. Johnson about
factory farm emissions, why not show your sensitive, artistic side by
sending
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/e7086b34e89c1fea/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> him a haiku? It's the honorable thing to do.

there's nothing quite like
the sweet, sweet taste of lead paint
Johnson, have a bite!

- Sean K.
Santa Fe, NM

Click
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/9543b2f32117b009/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> here to read more BWC member haikus.

WASHINGTON WATCH
  <http://betterworldclub.com/p/ExxonLogo.jpg> Alaskan Fishermen Demand
"Punitive" Damages for Valdez Spill From Blameless ExxonMobil

What About All the Oil ExxonMobil Lost in that Spill? Haven't They Suffered
Enough?

The US Supreme Court Wednesday heard a case that should finally decide
whether or not the 33,000 Alaskan residents affected by the 1989 Exxon
Valdez oil spill would receive the punitive damages that were awarded to
them.

The famous spill dumped 11 million gallons of oil into Prince William Sound,
fouling 1,200 miles of Alaskan coastline and leading to the deaths of
hundreds of thousands of seabirds and marine animals.

Executives at Exxon were obviously devastated by the catastrophe, but that
didn't stop local ne'er-do-wells from turning this unfortunate accident to
their own advantage: they demanded punitive damages in addition to
compensatory damages. Talk about kicking a guy when he's down! Just because
it was an Exxon supertanker full of Exxon fuel that happened to be captained
by an Exxon employee (a known alcoholic) doesn't mean it was Exxon's fault.
Complete
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/59b767327901652b/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> Story

More 'Washington Watch' in 'Kicking Asphalt'

-
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/2a266b18537773da/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> 2008 Democratic Presidential Candidates and
the Environment

GIVING DIRECTIONS

Water Injection:

The Answer to Reducing Auto Emissions?

by EcoSpace Conscious Community

A very simple and very safe older technology that has been almost completely
forgotten, so cheap and easy that it's truly amazing it has been so
neglected over the years: Water Injection is a simple system to remove
carbon (and coke) from both gasoline and diesel engines; while increasing
fuel mileage.

Any gasoline or diesel engine can be made cleaner and less polluting with
this system, yet the world seems to have forgotten about it's existence. In
a time when we desperately need to lower our fuel consumption and clean our
emissions, now is the time to bring back this old system. (In the sixties
many, if not most, big rigs had water injection.) Complete
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/8e02b07201e6d87b/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> Story

Additional Ways to Get Where You're Going:

Pop Quiz: Is the story "Rethinking
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/3286938edc920b40/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> the Meat-Guzzler" about a.) A young man who
ponders whether that cheeseburger-flavored Slurpee at 7/11 was such a good
idea after all, b.) An adult film star who wonders if she could have chosen
a better stage name, or c.) The notion that Americans may have to cut way
back on their meat consumption.

  _____

Inventor Adam Fuller discusses his vertical
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/674f624067827c93/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> tower of wind power.

  _____

Well, apparently we're screwed no matter what we do: Clearing
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/2133fb026218b8f5/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> land for biofuels aids global warming.

  _____

Ever wonder how many pounds of CO2 different modes of travel emit per
passenger mile? We haven't either. However, if you change your mind, you can
check out emissions
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/ef1299d5059c4d44/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> by transportation type here.

If you would like to contribute your opinion to Driving Change's Giving
Directions please email it to us at info at betterworldclub.com
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/828017bdea103154/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> .

DO YOU PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS?

 Maximum Bob <http://betterworldclub.com/p/putz.jpg> Bob Lutz of GM Calls
Global Warming a "Crock of S--T"

Then Adds: "I'm A Skeptic, Not A Denier."

Boy, That's Really Skeptical.

Bob Lutz, GM's Vice Chairman of Global Product Development, is not exactly
what you'd call a shy type of guy. Not one to self-censor, Bob has put his
foot in his mouth so many times he's running out of feet - but definitely
not running out of mouth.

His latest outburst came during a closed-door session with reporters when he
asserted that global warming is a "total crock of s--t." Then he added: "I'm
a skeptic, not a denier."

We've reported on Bob's antics several times over the years, starting with
his short-sighted contention in 2005 that "Right
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/11e38831226d96a4/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> now the drive for more and more power in cars
is way larger than the drive for more and more hybrids". With visionaries
like this leading the US' largest automaker, is it any wonder they're losing
market share to Toyota?

Bob redeemed himself somewhat with his championing of the plug-in
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/448157d5b87e1e02/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net> hybrid Chevy Volt, but this latest bout of
anti-environmental blather should be generating all kinds of red flags
within GM.

Millions of American consumers are concerned about the national security
consequences, economic consequences, and yes, environmental consequences of
our addiction to oil. When it comes time to buy a new car, are they going to
buy from a company that promotes fuel economy and environmental
responsibility, or from the folks who think global warming is a crock of
you-know-what?

Bob Thinks a Partner of the Better World Club - The Union of Concerned
Scientists - Is Also Full of S--T. Check It Out:

Wired.com
<http://www.icebase.com/go2.shtml?iV3I4x3zGO4AFkZI/ff62dfd825c30350/d88cb412
c21e2fa7/arlettag at comcast.net>

'DRIVING CHANGE' ANAGRAM OF THE MONTH