[RP TownTalk] Grocery stores beer and wine sales

David Lingua djlingua at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 00:56:37 UTC 2008

While doing the train post I had a chance to check the
latest (relative term) on TownTalk and have found this
portion of the Scott Ehlers subject to be of interest.
The impression one can come away with from this
discussion is that in someway the selection at Dumm's
is lacking. With all the "decent" qualifications
placed on various recommendations, that could be
equally said of Dumm's and then some.

While I wouldn't find myself picking up a Yellow Tail
or another mass pressed wine, there are more than
several wines I'm glad to know are stocked and well
priced; Rothschild Mouton Cadet bordeaux, Diseno
malbec, Coppola Black claret, Monkey Bay Marlborough
sauvignon blanc, Parallele cotes du rhone.

As well, consider these two factors, both time honored
barometers of business, service and location. While
one can talk the talk of conservation and smaller
carbon foot prints, with Dumms one can walk the walk,
literally. And if one's fermented fancy is not to be
found? It wouldn't surprise me if Pete, Jimmy, or Ted
would make the effort to stock it.

As a market offering things other than beer and wine,
would it be great if Dumm's began carrying baguettes
and a broader selection of cheese? Sure. Probably
things Pete and his sons have thought of for their
expansion. Maybe they should consider them now.
Granted space is at a premium in their store as they
are trying to offer as much of a selection of various
items so as to attract business. The choices do not
come easy. The one advantage of a small market is its
quick response to the market place. And if there isn't
a failure to communicate then everyone wins.