[RP TownTalk] Dog incident

Nina Faye ns_faye at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 14:06:25 UTC 2008

Was the dog actually a pit bull?  I thought it was illegal to own a pit bull in Prince Georges County?  If it was a pit bull and they are illegal, maybe similar awful situations could be prevented in the future by reporting pit bulls to the proper authorities.  In another state, we once had neighbors who owned and trained pit bulls.  I love dogs of all kinds, but these were dangerous and scary animals.  I kept a baseball bat inside my kitchen door for possible incidents.  We were never attacked, but a local minister, walking on our front sidewalk, was, requiring stiches in his leg.  Nina

Marc Molino <mmolino54 at hotmail.com> wrote:      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    I just wanted to say thank you to our town reps, police dept., and mayor for dealing with this incident (both during and after) in such a professional manner. It sounds like it was a horrible event for all involved directly and indirectly.

I'm also sad to say I had a strong hunch it was this particular dog. I often use the bike trail to commute and sometimes with my son--we have stopped many times by the pumping station. While my son looks through the fence at the pumping station, I stand looking down the hill at the pitbull tugging at his chain and barking agressively at us. I cannot comment on what kind of treatment this dog was used to, but I can say he is outside a lot, attached to a 20 ft. chain in a yard with no fence. It always seemed like a matter of time before he busted loose from his chain simply from how strong he was and how aggressively he'd bark and lunge toward passersby. It is unfortunate what happened, but I can completely understand why a high degree of force was necessary.

-Marc M.

The RP Muse Blog ~ Highlighting local arts & culture. Submissions welcomed.
http://therpmuse.blogspot.com