[RP TownTalk] A Flurry of Fun at Riversdale

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Tue Nov 18 20:40:30 UTC 2008

Hi all! If you caught a glimpse of the little flurry we had this
afternoon, I'm sure you're well aware that the holiday season and winter
are, indeed, on their ways! Riversdale is generating its own little
flurry of fun with programs that will surely get you in the holiday
spirit. Saturday, December 6 marks Sint Niklaas Day. Sint Niklaas is the
Flemish forerunner of our modern Santa Claus and reflects the Flemish
heritage of Rosalie Stier Calvert, the mistress of Riversdale. Children,
ages 3-10, are invited to the house for a winter afternoon. They will
get a chance to meet with Sint Niklaas, receive a gift bag from him,
make holiday crafts to take home, and enjoy yummy cookies and
refreshments baked in the open hearth kitchen. Admission is $6 for
children and $2 for adults. We already have some registrants and, as
last year, we expect this program to fill up FAST!!! Registration is
required by December 2, so pack up the kids and come by for a relaxing
winter afternoon of holiday fun!

Now, I know Christmas seems like quite the ways away (or you're feeling
like it should still be a ways away!), but Riversdale already has the
ball rolling on its Christmas program. The annual Calverts by
Candlelight is due to take place on December 27, so if you're staying in
the area for the holidays or have some out of town guests you'd like to
impress, come on by! The house will be a flurry of festivities with
candlelit tours of the decorated house, period music, and a cooking
demonstration in the open hearth dependency kitchen. You'll even be able
to sample the goodies, with the centerpiece being Martha Washington's
Great Cake. With a recipe that calls for 40 eggs, it certainly is quite
the "great" site to see! Reservations are not necessary and you can
purchase tickets at the door. Tickets are $5 for adults and children 12
& under enjoy complimentary admission. The house will be open from 6-9
pm.

If you'd like to register for Sint Niklaas Day or are interested in
additional information on either of these programs, shoot me an email
(samantha.ferris at pgparks.com) or call the office at 301.864.0420 and
we'll get you set up!

Cheers!

Samantha

Samantha Ferris
Education & Administrative Assistant
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
samantha.ferris at pgparks.com / www.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498