[RP TownTalk] Weekly Specials: RPFM Pre-Turkey Day Market & other holiday events

Jim Coleman jcolema3 at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 02:48:13 UTC 2008

*

This Thursday from 3pm to 7pm
Held in our town center, 4650 Queensbury Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Have you ever wondered why you had to wait until May to get your fresh
market products? Do you want to get some great food and gifts to take to
your family and friends or have on hand while hosting your own celebration?
The Riverdale Park Farmers Market is holding its first ever Thanksgiving
market to fulfill your needs. As always, please contact us on how to improve
this event. This is our last Farmers Market event of the year, please come
out and have some fun!

Highlights include: Festive Fall decorations, free balloons, football toss
with prizes (looking for volunteers to help), and live music.

Attention area residents!  In search of Santas for Sunday @ the Holiday
Market!  Email or talk to Jim Coleman for more information.
**Attention Riverdale Park residents!  **Please put up your lights and
decorations by the first weekend of December so we can have them ready for
trolley tours on the second Saturday night in December.*
*
BanjerDan *will be our featured musician this week with bluegrass and
beyond!  For info on our great musicians, check our website:
 http://www.rpfarmersmarket.org/Musicians.html<http://www.rpfarmersmarket.org/Musicians.html>

*LeMousseaux Sparkling Cider *will be on hand for your non-alcoholic
toasting.

Exciting guest vendor: *Summer Creek Farm* is coming down to RP from
Thurmont, MD with their all organic vegetables. They will be offering red
and white potatoes, cherry tomatoes, small slicing tomatoes, broccoli,
turnips, pie pumpkins, salad greens, and wheat for grinding.

Another guest vendor will be appearing this week:Willow Oak Herb and Flower
Farm <http://www.willowoakherbs.com/> will be making their first appearance
at our market with herb and flower wreaths, and other high quality seasonal
goods.
*
Master Peace Garden* will make their last appearance of the year with a
mesclun mix, a braising mix, green beans, cucumbers, spinach, arugula,
lettuce, and parsley.

Pick up your pre-ordered Thanksgiving turkey from *Groff's Content Farm! *
The freshest, tastiest free-range whole turkeys you've ever tasted!  Also
providing *free range chickens*, organic eggs, and grass-fed beef and
lamb.  Groff's
Content Farm chickens and turkeys are fed only organic feed and have all-day
access to pasture.  Their eggs and meat are delicious: taste the difference!
 Read about their family farm at  *http://www.groffscontentfarm.com*

*It's oyster season!* Have you tried the fresh oysters from *Circle C Oyster
Ranch*?  Definitely worth a taste!  Lineback Oysters are the best bivalve in
the Bay-- find out why!  *Circle C's* Rich is a participant in LEAD MD,
Maryland's Agricultural Leadership program through the University of
Maryland, which promotes sustainable agriculture in Maryland.

*Stone Hearth Bakery* will be coming down from Frederick with *Panettone
citrus bread*! *Wow! They also will be serving apple, cherry, and pumpkin
pies. The usual assortment of breads, cookies, and pastries will also be
here too!*

Dinner for the family: enjoy *Koh's Bulgogi Cart a*t the market!  They grow
their own vegetables and feature delicious beef bulgogi and other authentic
Korean dishes, including some delicious vegetarian options.  They are a
favorite in Rockville.  No styrofoam!  Yum!

Come taste the most delicious chocolate truffles in the world . . . made in
small batches by Eric himself from organic, grass-fed butter and the highest
quality cocoa and other ingredients.   *Chocolates by
Krishon*<http://www.krishon.com/>
!
* *

In other new and exciting news, the *Cosmic Bean Coffee Company* will have a
new variety of brewed coffee: Almond Joy!  As tempting as the name!  Out of
this world!

*In A Pickle * has Old World hand-crafted barrel pickles and pickled
vegetables as well as the finest imported olives.  Taste and enjoy!

*Mystic Water Soap* has some amazing *perfume oils *and *facial masques *as
well as original *handmade soaps*.  Michelle, whom some of you may know from
Smile Herb Shop, makes Mystic Water Soaps from scratch using a traditional
cold-process method and her own recipes and the purest natural
ingredients.
Did you know *Crepes at the Market *are made with many local ingredients,
including peaches, honey, eggs, basil, cilantro, apples, tomatoes, sweet
peppers, hot peppers, oregano, garlic-chive cheddar, horseradish cheddar,
and onions.

Groff's Content Farm, Summer Creek Farm, Stone Hearth Bakery, Krishon
Chocolates, Cosmic Bean Coffee Company, Ole Pioneer Kitchen, Crepes @ the
Market, Migue's Magnificent Mini Doughnuts, In a Pickle, and Koh's Bulgogi.
*
The holidays are coming!* On December 13 and 14, Riverdale Park will be
holding its annual *Festival of Lights and Holiday Market* in its historic
town center, 4650 Queensbury Road, next to the Riverdale MARC station. This
event is sponsored by the Town of Riverdale Park, the  Riverdale Business
Association, Douglas Development, and the Recreation Board. Saturday's hours
will be from 2pm to 8pm, and Sunday's hours will be 12 noon to 6pm. On both
days, we will have great live music, face painting, beautiful arts and
crafts, Christmas trees, enticing fresh prepared food and unique Holiday
gifts.
Saturday's schedule includes
Christmas tree sales from 12pm to ?
Craft & Gift Vending - from 2 to 8pm
Visits with Santa - from 2 to 8pm
Face Painting - from 2 to 6pm
Trolleys & Caroling - from 5:30 - 8:30pm

Sunday's events include:
Christmas tree sales from 12pm to ?
Face painting from 12 to 6pm
Craft & Gift Vending - from 12 to 6pm
Bake off with free samples from 2 to 330pm

Music Schedule includes:
Saturday, Dec. 13
  2pm        Act 1 Miles Spicer
  245         Breakdown & Setup
  3pm        Act  2    Rick Franklin & Mike Baytop
  345         Breakdown & Setup
  4pm        Act  3    Previti Brass Quartet
  445         Breakdown & Setup
 5pm        Act 4 Terrence McArdle and Liz Lohr
  545         Breakdown & Setup
  6pm        Act 5 Joe Uline, Mindy McWilliams, Avril Smith
 645         Breakdown & Setup
  7pm        Act  6    BanjerDan singalong

Sunday, Dec. 14
  12pm        Act 1    Rick Franklin
  1245         Breakdown & Setup
  1pm        Act  2    David La Fleur
  145         Breakdown & Setup
  2pm        Act  3    Eleanor Ellis
  245         Breakdown & Setup
  3pm        Act 4     Mike Baytop
  345         Breakdown & Setup
  4pm        Act 5     Janine Wilson and Max Evans
  445         Breakdown & Setup
  5pm        Act  6    BanjerDan singalong

This event promises to be great family entertainment.  Please join us.

Sorry, there will be no cooking demonstration this week.

*Weekly Recipe: *
Braised Wild Greens

from http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0905b.htm

1 bunch mustard greens
1 bunch collard greens
1 bunch red Swiss chard
1⁄2 cup chopped bacon
1⁄4 cup diced onion
1⁄2 teaspoon chopped garlic
Ground black pepper to taste

*1. Wash greens well in cold water; drain. Remove stems and chop leaves. Set
aside.

2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, cook bacon on medium-high heat until it
is halfway cooked. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is softened and
bacon is light brown. Drain off fat, if desired. Reduce heat to medium.

3. Add greens and cook until tender, 10 to 30 minutes.*

*NOTES:* * *You can clean and chop ingredients one day in advance and store
in plastic bags or airtight containers in the refrigerator. The greens can
be cooked 30 minutes before serving or cooked several hours in advance,
refrigerated and reheated, covered, in the microwave.

.  Bon Apetit!

We look forward to seeing you Thursdays from 3pm to 7pm at the  Riverdale
Park Town Center!

Our favorite nationally known local food site,
localharvest.org<http://localharvest.org/>,
is now soliciting for reviews of our market. When you get the chance, please
tell them what you love about our market. If there's something you dislike
about our market, please tell me first so I can address it personally,
rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com.

As one customer recently told us, "*Riverdale** Park*
* is the fun market!*" Each week we offer live music by award winning local
artists, kids entertainment, and a wide selection of fresh produce and
specialty items sold directly by Maryland farmers. Held at our town center,
4650 Queensbury Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737

Here's a sample of our vendors:Groff's Content Farm, Circle C Oyster Ranch,
D & S Farm, Ferry Landing Farm and Apiary, Richard's Hundred Organic Farm,
Jack Creek Plants, Master Peace Community Garden, Musachio Produce, Red
Chimney Flower Farm, Thank God Its Fresh (TGIF),  A Little Pottery, Crepes
at the Market,  Micha's Sorbets, Miguel's Magnificent Mini Donuts, In a
Pickle, Cosmic Bean Coffee Company, Mystic Water Soap, Profusions of Glass
Jewelry,  Stone Hearth Bakers, Sweet Nuthouse, Green Guild Biodiesel Coop

For more info, come over to see us @  rpfarmersmarket.org

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!  Subscribers receive one e-mail newsletter a
week. Your information is not shared with advertisers or spammers. To
subscribe, visit:  http://riverdale-park
.org/mailman/listinfo/rpfarmersmarket

*PHILOSOPHY*:  As a consumer, you have a unique opportunity to help preserve
Southern Maryland's rural charm by supporting local farms.Riverdale
Park Farmer's
Market is a producers-only market. That means that when you shop here, you
are supporting local farmers and craftspeople directly. For a free Southern
Maryland Harvest Guide, visit
http://www.somarylandsogood.com<http://www.somarylandsogood.com/>

*LOCATION:* Thursdays, 3-7 pm: Riverdale Park Town Center: Queensbury Road &
Rhode Island Ave: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4650+Queensbury+Rd+riverdale
+md+20737&hl=en<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4650+Queensbury+Rd+riverdale+md+20737&hl=en>

VENDORS & VOLUNTEERS:  Riverdale Park Farmer's Market is a volunteer-driven
effort. To get involved, e-mail Jim Coleman, coordinator, at
rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com

LIST EDITOR:  Joyanna Priest,  jepriest at gmail.com

TOWN INFO:  We love Riverdale Park! Visit us at: http://ci.riverdale-park
.md.us
Maryland WIC and Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program checks
accepted.org

Thanks,

Jim Coleman
Market Coordinator