[RP TownTalk] A Guide to the Polls

Robert Oppenheim Rob.Oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 23:07:39 UTC 2008

Another good source for voter information is
http://www.gazette.net/votersguide08

The above link is a neutral list of the ballot choices, plus
it links to some pro and con arguments where you can
learn a lot more. It also links to the Gazette's endorsements.

In addition to the presidential race, the following ballot choices
will appear on our ballot. [By "our ballot", I mean Riverdale Park,
but in this case the ballot appears to be the same for all of Congressional
District 5 within Prince George's County].

* Representative in Congress - Congressional District 5
[You may see this referred to by different names such as
"Dist. 5 Congressional race", "Representative in Congress - District 5",
"House of Representatives for District 5".]
Our ballot choices will be:
Steny Hoyer (D)
Collins Bailey (R)
Darlene Nicholas (Libertarian)

* Prince George's School Board,
Board of Education at large: Amber Waller

**Ballot Questions **

*State Wide Constitutional Amendments:
1. Early Voting; Polling Places; Absentee Ballots (allows for early voting).
2. Authorizing Video Lottery Terminals (Slot Machines) to Fund Education

*PG Bond issues....
A. Library Facilities Bonds
B. Public Safety Facilities Bonds
C. County Buildings Bonds
D. Public Works and Transportation Facilities Bonds
E. Community College Facilities Bonds

*A proposed increase in the telecommunications tax:
F. Telecommunications and Service Sales and Use Tax
(There is some interesting pro/con arguments on this issue at the above
gazette site).

*A PG charter amendment:
G. Extension of Time for Notice of Public Hearing on a Bill.

**There is also the usual up or down vote for judges...**

*Judge of the Circuit Court, Judicial Circuit 7
5 names are listed and you vote for up to 5:
Andre Michael Chapdelaine
Larnzell Martin, Jr.
Crystal Dixon Mittelstaedt
Albert W. Northrop
Nicholas Elias Rattal

*Judge, Court of Special Appeals at large. Deborah Eyler,

*Judge, Court of Special Appeals at large. Robert Zarnoch.

---

To see images of our exact voter machine screens go to
http://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/Government/AgencyIndex/Elections/
Then from the "What's New" box on the right,
download the PDF file labeled
"Ballot Specimen (1) English" (or Spanish if you prefer),
It is for our Congressional District 5.

(It is about 400 KB, so it can take a while to download).

The other ballot specimens - numbered (2) and (3) -
are for other Congressional Districts 4 and 8.

[end]