[RP TownTalk] Tropical Storm and being prepared

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 12:09:30 UTC 2008

Dear friends and neighbors,

As the tropical storm approaches I wanted to send along some good advice
from our neighbor Heather Blanchard on being prepared (she is very good
about that sort of thing). Below you will see a good outline of what every
house should have for emergency supplies.

Also, please remember to secure items in your yard that could get loose and
cause damage--lawn furniture, decorations, etc.

If you have significant damage, trees down, etc during the storm please
report it to our police at 301-927-4343 and they will coordinate with public
works for cleanup.

BE SAFE!

_______________________________________

CHECK YOUR EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT
Your home emergency preparedness kit, should include flashlights, a NOAA
Weather Radio with fresh batteries, spare batteries, non-perishable food and
a can opener, a supply of fresh water for at least three days, a first-aid
kit, essential medications for those who use prescriptions, diapers and
wipes if necessary, pillows and blankets or sleeping bags. Persons with
special medical needs should evaluate their situations, review their plans
and, if necessary, make arrangements for assistance if they are unable to be
without power for more than a few hours.

Please visit Ready.gov for more information and a checklist of household
items you should have on hand in your emergency supply kit:
http://www.ready.gov/america/beinformed/hurricanes.html

PREPARE YOUR HOME
Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and
anything else that is not tied down.
Secure your home by closing shutters, and securing outdoor objects or
bringing them inside.
Turn off utilities as instructed. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator
thermostat to its coldest setting and keep its doors closed.
Turn off propane tanks.
Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing
toilets. Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
CURRENT

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland