[RP TownTalk] Mural Idealist

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:24:36 UTC 2009

Some more thoughts:

In addition to the Piscataway Indians & the Woodland tribe, there were
also the Nanchotank Indians. Indeed the name “Anacostia” is derived
from the Indian word “anaquash” meaning a village trading center.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/anacostia/history.html

---

Regarding the notion of depicting slavery in town, I'm thinking that
the Riversdale Historical Society might be a good place to get
material about this. I know they have documented the life of one of
the slaves who worked at Riversdale - and his house is on the historic
registers of homes in town. They also have had a display at the
mansion on the utensils and implements used to maintain the house and
grounds.

It sounds like you may not be aware that Charles Benedict Calvert was
the head of the house of the second generation of residents at
Riversdale. Charles Calvert helped found the U.S. Agricultural
Society, and sold the adjoining Rossborough Farm to the Maryland
Agricultural College, which became the University of Maryland.

You can learn more about the history of our town at:
http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us/History/default.html

Our town has a rich history - I would love to see that reflected in the mural.

(Sorry Cranky Old Coot - I know I'm late on the discussion, but since
Chris asked for input, I'm giving it!)

-Sarah