[RP TownTalk] F4 bus route and WMATA

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:33:05 UTC 2009

Dear friends and neighbors,

Last Monday night representatives from WMATA responded to our request to
discus the issues surrounding the bus/train accident of Thursday March 26
and the subsequent rerouting of the F4 bus line. This is the most used means
of public transportation in our town. For very different, yet obviously
interrelated, reasons we are gravely concerned about the issues of safety
and public transportation.

First a brief recap of the accident for those who don't already know
what happened. The following description comes from our police department's
report of the incident:

On March 26, 2009, at approximately 4:30 p.m., a passenger train collided
with a Metro bus at the Town Center crossing. Just after another train had
cleared the crossing, Bus #1, heading east on Queensbury Road, began to
cross the tracks at about the same time that Bus #2 turned left from
northbound Lafayette onto westbound Queensbury. Before Bus #2 reached the
railroad crossing, the gates began coming down because of another
approaching train. Bus #2, which was now sideways in the road between
Lafayette and the crossing, was blocking Bus #1's ability to completely
clear the track (the back end of the bus was still across the tracks).

Seeing that a train was approaching, all of the passengers on Bus #1
hurriedly jumped off the bus and got out of the way of the oncoming train.
Only the bus driver was in the bus when the train struck the rear right side
of the bus. The driver received non life-threatening injuries. The collision
with the train pushed Bus #1 into Bus #2. The driver of Bus #2 was not
injured, and he said that none of his passengers reported injuries.
Apparently, all of the passengers of Bus #2 live nearby, because they all
left the bus and the area prior to the investigation getting underway.

There has been relatively high media attention on this incident, with the
accompanying pressure on WMATA to take action.  This culminated over the
weekend when a news team spotted another bus at the crossing apparently
engaging in risky driving at the crossing.

Without informing Riverdale Park, much-less consulting with us, WMATA
decided that this bus route should be redirected so as not to cross the
tracks until an evaluation of the overall situation could be finished.  We
(town government) contacted WMATA Monday and asked them to come and tell the
mayor and council what was occurring and listen to our concerns/position at
our Monday Work Session.  They agreed and were present.

Based on the information presented Monday night, WMATA initiated a "Code 1"
(highest level) investigation immediately after learning of the accident.
The investigators had 72 hours to submit a preliminary report, and 14 days
to submit a final report. The final report to their senior management will
tell what happened and how any systemic problems should be remedied.  The 72
hour report concluded that temporary action was required in order to insure
no further accident occurs until the final review and recommendations can be
made.

What was clear from WMATA and our police description of the accident was
that at least part of the problem was driver error and further their
training/standard operating procedures for dealing with rail crossings have
not been updated in a long time. While there might be issues associated with
the route in general and crossing rail tracks, the first real issues
are driver error and training related.

The investigator apologized for not including Riverdale Park in the initial
decision for a temporary reroute and committed to working directly with us
going forward.  He further promised to share the final report with us to the
degree WMATA's legal council would allow.  I made plane that we would expect
at least a reasonable summary of findings if they were unwilling/unable to
provide complete access.

Further testimony was provided by the route planner for our area.  He made
plane that an evaluation of route alternatives should be initiated in this
situation.  I agreed that we could discuss what the process might be for
such changes, but also made plane that we would set the bar very high prior
to agreeing to any permanent changes.

Council members and I enumerated many safety concerns about the
new/temporary route being followed as well as the importance of serving the
transportation needs of our town center area. On the surface it seems that
the new route they are using simply changes one set of dangers/concerns for
a new set of dangers/concern.

At this point I believe we will see a return to the original bus route soon,
but I temper this view with a determination that we never see a catastrophic
accident in the heart of our town.  I view this accident as a wake up call
to WMATA, MARC and Riverdale Park to avert a future tragedy while still
delivering quality transit to and through our town.

 Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor