[RP TownTalk] A view from the Ravenswood nest

Melissa Avery m.avery at rocketmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:20:49 UTC 2009

Sarah,
thank you for the information. I think the point that Don was trying to make was, that it is the job of an elected council member to make decisions through a consensus of their ward members. When you can only get information about what is happening  in your ward or the townAFTER the council has met and discussed the issues and made decisions , that is not following the democratic process. Why should you have to go to a council meeting to find out what is happening in your ward? How can your opinion be heard when you do not know what is going to be discussed? Some issues need research, a person can't be expected to offer inteligent rebuttle on the spur of the moment with out the oppertunity to do research.   Don was trying to describe a democratic process. Also we know that ward 2  has had ward meetings, the only ward as far as we know..
This town is too small to not make an effort to reach out to all of it's citizens. Especially in this election where essentially everyone in the town government is being appointed.

I have lived in the Washington area my whole life. I have seen time and again how communities have been destroyed by "modernization" and greed over transportation development. The original intent of the town trashed and destroyed.  By not respecting the old vision you get rockville pike.  You can hardly find anything original there. Inf act pretty soon you won't even be able to find the sky there. So the Washington area is a big place. If people want New York city, let them move to Rockville. They should also have the chance to live in a quaint little village. and that is Riverdale.
Don Grew up in Rockville, and believe it or not, it was very similar to Riverdale until Duncan got a hold of it.
We are very concerned with the proposed shift that will lead the old town center to Kennelworth ave redevelopment. The MUTC plan of 2004 is already outdated. It needs to be revisited.
The road systems in Riverdale are going have to be greatly altered with all the proposed changes.
How does one get information about what agenda is discussed at the meetings you have listed?

Once again thank you for the informaion