[RP TownTalk] Town Talk v. Town Announce

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 17:14:50 UTC 2009

Dear friends and neighbors,

Regarding the difference and separation of Town Announce and Town Talk, I
want to share why they are separate.  First Town Announce is a Council
mandated list that provides information about upcoming meetings and town
government actions--if you are interested in the activities of the town
government then PLEASE enroll.

Town Talk exists based on executive order and has very limited regulation.
It's purpose is to encourage discussion of town issues and to share
information among residents about common interests around our area.  Early
in my administration a number of subscribers specifically asked to not get
the "government" information of the type that now is available on Town
Announce.

I personally find Town Talk very useful in order to gauge the range of
residents' opinions on at least some issues before the town.  On the other
hand I try to be very judicious in what issues I try to get into discussion
on the list and let it be mostly driven by non-officials.

Thus we have two separate lists.  By keeping them separate we are not
denying anyone the ability to be informed, we are simply recognizing that
some people view themselves as plenty engaged in their community without
getting the government type information.

Likewise some people do subscribe to Town Announce and don't subscribe to
Town Talk for a whole host of reasons. Their desire to get the official
government information without getting postings of other residents is too
honored by this system of having two lists.

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor