[RP TownTalk] Mural Idealist

Christopher Martin chrism at pgcps.org
Tue Apr 21 15:09:49 UTC 2009

Hello Riverdale Town Talkers,

A note from Community Based Classroom Teacher / Riverdale Resident / mural
planner:

In my class's conception of this mural  -- the rainbow squares and/or other
squares in this rough sketch (see
http://www.muralcollaborative.netfirms.com/muralintro.htm) could be filled
with symbols designed by local artists/ community members, working side by
side with CBC students.  In that sense, if there are any strong Symbols of
Riverdale that Historic Preservationists want to fit into the mural - you're
more than welcome to.  There are about 7-10 or more squares available with
this sketch.  We'd love to have and want input/asistance from any artists or
aspiring artists from town - neighbors Jim L and Sherita S... that means
you! :)
If we - cbc artists, riverdale artists/community members-  wanted to change
the design to some degree to include landscapes/moments from town history..
we could do that also.  The process of community involvement is as important
as the artwork in this mural.  The challenge is getting multiple
artists/ideas into a coherent mural.  I think the sketch's division by
squares / rainbow of symbols has the potential to incorporate many different
perspectives into a unified landscape.  By allowing CBC students to follow
through with their initiative here, getting community involvement (including
the elementary school too) from experienced artists and beginners - this
mural can serve many purposes.  It's a big enough bridge for us all to fit
under it!

CBC students would like to start attending the Thursday Market to assist us
locals create potential design squares, have a children's drawing space, and
raise a little $ for the project, but as of yet have not gotten the go ahead
from Town / Market leaders.  Town / market leaders... what's up?

For more info about CBC and its students go to www.pgcps.org/~cbc.

Thanks for your time.

Chris Martin
301-918-8726