[RP TownTalk] Mural Idealist

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 14:07:53 UTC 2009

The phone numbers I gave you do not work but I do
have a phone number that does & I left a message.
The American Indian Cultural Org. meets the first
Tuesday of each month at the Greenbelt Church,
7 pm at 1 Hillside Drive but the church sets on
Crescent Road.  Anyone is invited to learn about
them & come to the meetings.

If we are going to have a mural in the Historic
District about Indians - it should only honor our
own Indians who were living here.  These Indians
are still here in Cedarville/Waldorf & meet in
Greenbelt.  I think we should consult them so they
can feel proud that we are honoring them in the
proper historical way.  There has been so much pain
between the Indians and the White man here in our
area.  This is a chance to honor & respect them.

My mother was a geneologist and when I was young
I went with her talking to the Chiefs & used to go to the
festivals.

It is confusing to have a mural with southwestern
symbols in it.  When history buffs come to visit us
or others who know their history - the experts will
think we DO NOT KNOW our history and are not
proud of it.  It sends the wrong message.

The Mural
should honor what the Riversdale Mansion stands for
and complement it - teaching our residents & children
what we are about.  It should make our Indians still
alive and in our area proud that we care about them.

Natalie & Maurice Proctor would be the ones to teach
us the symbols & history to portray on this Mural.

Emily

In a message dated 4/21/2009 10:28:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,