[RP TownTalk] Mural thread

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 28 04:10:27 UTC 2009

I just wanted to comment on the 'mural thread' which I've just been catching up on.  As I looked at the discussion,  I was disappointed at the tone of the overall discussion.  Though a number of comments were genuinely constructive, I felt like there was thinly veiled hostility  in several of the comments, most of which were posing as questions. It seemed like some posters were using Town Talk as the place to vent their annoyance with or objections to the project, though it seems to me that the town council is the place to raise those concerns.

Just to speak another side of the issue: In a neighborhood that is surrounded by areas of blight and decay, I am delighted that a group of young people are  (or were) considering bringing some creativity and investment to the community.  If it gets sprayed with graffiti, I doubt it would look worse than all the other concrete bridges in the area that are tagged with graffiti. And we're not talking about a painting in the center of the town square, where I could understand a high level of public scrutiny.  So I felt baffled by the vehemence and edginess of the responses. So, I am sorry to come late to this, but I wanted to express my appreciation to Mr. Martin for his initiative and voice my support of this work.  I am glad the town council approved it.
Kathy