[RP TownTalk] Signs on our northern boarder

Don Lynch dlynch at garretroomstudios.com
Wed Aug 19 17:45:07 UTC 2009

Well this is indeed, a sad day for Riverdale Park.

To receive word, late in this discussion, about a very important issue
from one of the town's officials.

We asked College Park about this issue and got an immediate response. It
took a day later to hear from our own elected official.

Now we hear that some officials are reciting the exact definition of
transparency.

Well, anyone educated in the civics, knows that there is a term called
intent. Contracts, legal documents, etc. inherently have an implied
clause called intent.

To have transparency in government means that it is incumbent upon the
leadership to keep its constituency informed.

It is obvious to everyone in this town that this listserve, which was
mandated by our town government, is a viable and valid form of
communication.

So now I'm quoting chapter and verse:

*§3-2. Letters to the Editor.*

(a) General Rule - The newsletter shall accept for publication letters
to the editor from

town residents who are not elected officials of the town. Any letter
must include a name, address

and telephone number of the person submitting the letter and be signed
by that person. Any

person writing such letters shall be limited to one letter of two
hundred and fifty (250) words or

less per edition of the town newsletter. Such letters must relate to
administrative, regulatory or

Legislative functions of the town, or be of some matter of unique
concern to the town or

its residents (e.g., obituaries, events of town groups or town-sponsored
organizations, history of

- 301 -

Revised 01- 08

the town, etc.). Such letters may promote a position on matters of
public policy, but may not

advocate support or opposition for any candidate for public office. Such
letters shall be directed

to the Editor-in-Chief of the newsletter and shall be printed in the
next issue of the newsletter

after it has been received.

(B) Time of Submission - A deadline of the 15th day of the calendar
month shall be set

for any submission to be printed in the next edition. If a letter to the
editor is received after the

submission deadline, it shall be printed in the following edition. In
the event multiple

submissions are received for an upcoming edition, the Editor-in-Chief
shall set forth two (2) full

pages for such letters and if ample space is still not available,
provide a written rationale for why

some letters were printed and others were held to the subsequent
edition. No letter deemed

appropriate under the guidelines may be held for any reason for more
than 45 days before

publication.

(c) Editing for Length and Content - In the event a letter exceeds the
two hundred and

fifty (250) word length, it shall be subject to editing by the
Editor-in-Chief who shall shorten its

length by removing or replacing words, but who shall not change the
intent of the letter writer.

In the event any portion of the content shall include curse words
inappropriate for publication,

the Editor-in-Chief shall have the authority to remove or replace such
words at his or her

discretion.

So, it seems that this administration is in violation of town ordinances
requiring an editorial section of the Town Crier., which has not existed
for some time.

I request that the ordinance staff serve this administration  a citation
to this effect which is proper under the balance of powers.

It would be nice if for once this current administration would focus on
the needs of this town.

We recently had a business fail in town center and not one council
member or mayor bothered to make a comment.

Again, it is a sad day in Riverdale Park.

Don