[RP TownTalk] Route 1 Sign, Letters to the Editor, and our Public Officials

Marita Novicky maritanovicky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 14:27:21 UTC 2009

Dear Town Talk Readers:

The recent discussion regarding the College Park signage on Route 1, and the
lack of Town reactions/involvement i.e., letters to the editor, prompted me
to research my files for the three plus years I served as Editor of the
Riverdale Park Town Crier.  Early in my tenure, I posted an invitation for
Town residents to offer compliments and/or complaints to the Crier [see the
following text from February 06].  “If you would like to compliment someone
or something, likewise, complain about someone or something, limit your
comments to 80 words or less and send it to “Compliments and Compliments”,
c/o the Crier Editor.  Your submission must be signed and include a day-time
phone number for verification.  We reserve the right to edit letters. Space
and good taste prevent the Crier from publishing every item we receive.  People
who want more comprehensive comments should sign their letter and send them
to “Letter to the Crier Editor”.  With exception of public officials and
public issues, we will not publish the names of businesses or people in
“complaints”.  This is to protect the complainer and the Crier as both could
be held liable.”

During my entire time as editor, I received one compliment regarding our
Public Works Department, and one complaint regarding cars running stop signs
and the excessive speed on East West Highway; both were published in the
March 06 edition. I also received two Letters to the Editor during that
time.  One was from Rob Oppenheim complimenting S&J’s and the implementation
of “Smoke Free PG” in the January 15, 2006; and one from Audrey Bragg
complaining that the RPBA was not mentioned in an article about Home Town
Heroes in the October 2008 edition.  Even though there was not a plethora of
letters to the editor, I felt assured that residents were reading the Crier,
because I often heard comments about various editions from residents when
meeting them in public.  I assume that most people are often to busy to
write to the editor and do not do so unless moved strongly by a certain
issue; either for or against.

I think that Town Talk is an excellent vehicle for sharing opinions and
information and I like Kathy G’s analogy of the Town Square.  But like
Novella and others, I too am concerned with the hostile remarks of a few
concerning our Town officials.  We are fortunate to have dedicated public
servants who work for next to nothing in ensuring that our Town is well
represented.  Let’s keep the discourse going but with a modicum of respect
for our public servants.