[RP TownTalk] New-Old Topic: Railroad Crossing Safety

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 10:40:37 UTC 2009

Lisa,

Your question is very worth asking and I'll try to answer it as
straightforwardly as I can.  The crossing was repaired and according to the
CSX is working correctly.

When you ask "could this happen again" I certainly cannot guarantee that any
mechanical/electrical system will never fail.  I can say it is highly
unlikely to fail in a way that leaves the crossing open--they design the
system so that it SHOULD close if it fails, not stay open.

We do all though have a recent example that the system can fail and leave
the tracks open, so I think it is ALWAYS wise to look both ways and be aware
when crossing the tracks.

While on the topic, I believe that the same approach should be taken with
traffic lights.  They too have failed in the past (not too mention people
run them occasionally), and a wise person will continue to check the
side streets regardless of what the signal says.

Drive defensively seems a good motto to me ;-)

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor