[RP TownTalk] New sign on Cafritz Property!

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:17:33 UTC 2009

Hi Adrianne and all,

It is difficult to say with certainty what is the likely outcome for the
Cafrtiz property, but let me give the following list of facts to try to
clarify where we are:

1) The property is currently zoned for single family housing--in other words
the owner can "build by right" with very little opportunity for
community/government input single family houses at about 5 per acre.

2) The Cafritz interest is in building a mixed use development of no single
family homes, some townhouses, and a lot of condos/and or apartments along
with 200,000 Sq. ft of commercial space (including a "whole foods"). This
basic scenario was laid out in the series of public meetings held in 2007.

3) They need a major rezoning to make this happen. Which means buy in from
the 3 effected communities so that County Council member Eric Olson supports

4) prior to there being any possibility of this happening, mitigation plans
for the MAJOR impact such a development would have on the transportation
network will have to presented and found acceptable.  This is where the
process has been for the last year and a half and I see no prospect of this
hurdle being overcome by the developer any time in the near future.

Frankly the process is dead in the water.

If the developer does come up with a plan that has some reasonable prospect
of flying, then there will be public hearings/presentations at the time.

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor