[RP TownTalk] Riverdale Rooster

Euniverz at aol.com Euniverz at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 12:24:00 UTC 2009

Do we really need to do anything about the Riverdale Rooster?  Is it  really
bothering anyone? And as far as the possibility it might be  sacrificed,
aren't millions of his female counterparts "sacrificed" every year  anyway?
Cockfighters usually don't let their birds loose to wander the  local streets, so
calling Animal Control will likely not lead to any  arrests.

I think it's wonderful that our neighborhood is bucolic enough to support a
local rooster.  And yes, I've lived next door to roosters in both bucolic  and
less than ideal situations, including escapees from the local live bird
market in the Bronx, and I didn't find them too annoying.  Depending on the
breed, they are well equipped and well insulated against the cold.

My $0.02, unless  he looks sick or injured, I say give him a name and  let
him be.

Adrianne Lefkowitz
Madison and 48th

As has been said, at least we're talking a LIVE rooster and not the
"railroad roosters!"  That being said - I live on Ravenswood so maybe I'll  see it;
what do we do, just let it be, call Animal Control, or?  (I don't  even know if
Animal Control answers any calls other than emergencies on the  weekends)
I've seen a lot of hawks in the area, hopefully none of  them will be in the
mood for a chicken dinner!