[RP TownTalk] Thanks for all of your help re. "whistle stop" information...

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 11:36:01 UTC 2009

Wow, I received a flood of replies regarding President-elect Obamas' whistle-stop train trip on Saturday; thanks to all who responded!  I did a bit of searching on my own; I posted a question to WJLA Inauguration information website, and they said basically the same thing, that Obama would be in Baltimore around 4:15, but no specified times for the train to pass through New Carrollton or arrive in DC, as of yet.  I called Union Station Amtrak, they said they weren't allowed to give out the information.  I finally got a number for New Carrollton Amtrak, and the man I spoke with there said he didn't know the time for the train to go past, but he thought it would just speed on through, it wouldn't be going slow for anyone to stand and wave.  If it's true it's just going to speed past, I guess it comes down to if I or anyone else wants to stand there between, say, 4:30 and 6:00 or so in for a momentary glimpse of the train, or take a chance that it will be
 going slow? Too, it'll be pretty cold and definitely dark out there...   I think I MAY just watch news coverage on TV and see if the train does in fact go slow between the scheduled stops or not.  At any rate, the next few days will be very interesting and I hope if anyone goes to any of the Inaugural events they have a great time (and stay warm!)  Again, many thanks for all of the replies.

Sue