[RP TownTalk] snow emergency?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:26:14 UTC 2009

It's the first snow of the year! Snoooowwww!

I thought I'd post the laws from our Town Code regarding snow removal
and parking restrictions. Why? Because I can never remember which side
of the street I'm supposed to park on in this weather.... (Answer:
Park on the even side.)

-Sarah

---

§ 57-24. Snow and ice removal required. [Added 3-6-95, effective 3-26-95.]

Every person, whether as owner, tenant, occupant or otherwise, in
charge or control of any building or parcel of land located in the
town that fronts or abuts on any public sidewalk shall be required to
remove or clear snow or ice that accumulates on any such sidewalk
surface within twenty-four (24) hours of the accumulation. It shall be
unlawful to fail, neglect or refuse to comply with this section.

§ 64-19 Snow Emergencies [ added 11-4-96]

(a) The Town Council is authorized to adopt special parking
restrictions which shall be in effect during any time that a snow
emergency condition exists. For purposes of this section, a "snow
emergency condition" shall be considered in effect within the Town of
Riverdale Park whenever a snow emergency is declared in effect in
Prince George's County by the Prince George's County Executive, the
Maryland State Highway Administration or the Maryland State Police.

(b) During any period in which a snow emergency condition exists and a
snow emergency is in effect, it shall be unlawful to park any vehicle
on any part of any street designated as a snow emergency street,
provided that signs have been erected on that street giving notice
that such street is a designated snow emergency street.

(c) During any period in which a snow emergency condition is in
effect, it shall be unlawful to park any vehicle on the odd-numbered
side of any public street in the Town of Riverdale Park regardless of
whether such street has been designated a snow emergency street.
Streets with parking restricted on one side are exempt from this
section.

(d) Any vehicle parked in violation of the snow emergency provisions
of the section may be removed and impounded by or under the direction
of any duly-authorized police officer. The owner of said vehicle, in
addition to any towing or impound fee, shall be liable for a fine of
$250.

--
Sarah Wayland
sarah.wayland at gmail.com