[RP TownTalk] "Surprise: Making driving seem more dangerous could make it safer."

Cranky old Coot lking at knob.com
Mon Jul 6 17:17:40 UTC 2009

Dwight Holmes wrote, On 7/6/2009 10:28 AM:
> Fascinating article on a new paradigm in the design of traffic flow
> systems.
Not sure how new the idea is. Back in the early '60s when I was in the
area, there was a notorious intersection in Minneapolis, MN called
"Seven Corners." Seven 2-way streets, all 4 or 6 lanes wide, intersected
in a big patch of blacktop. They tried light, signs, white/yellow
stripes nothing worked. There were finder-benders daily. Accidents
didn't make the news unless someone was injured or more than four cars
were involved.

The answer: They took down all the signs, covered all the markings on
the streets and replaced it all with 7 BIG yellow and black signs:
"Warning Uncontrolled intersection Inter at your own risk".  Traffic
flowed smoothly through this major downtown intersection. Driver's heads
were on swivels looking out for other drivers. Reportable accidents fell
to less than one a week.

COC

I am the COC keeper and I approve this message.
Lou King