[RP TownTalk] taxes

bruce.wernek at mindspring.com bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 24 12:19:31 UTC 2009

All

You can have your property values adjusted by going to zillow.com and getting a list of recently sold comparables in the area.  Setup a hearing with the county and show them the list.  The county will adjust your assessment accordingly since it's based on fair market value.

Lower assessed value does not necessarily mean lower taxes.  To give you an example, the assessed value on my home is $235K (I fought long and hard with the county to get this assessed value, but it was a waste of time), and I pay $4087 in property taxes (ridiculous isn't it).  Do the math, it's right on your tax bill.  My neighbor's home, also in Riverdale Park, is assessed at $349K and she pays $4072 in property taxes, $15 less than I pay.  The difference is that she gets a $2508 homestead tax credit while I get $772.

This says a lot about the property tax system in general.  It doesn't matter what your home is worth.  Consider a family with both parents working just getting by, liviing in a small home, paying the same property taxes as the family down the street making much more money, being much better off, with a property assessed $100K more.  It's a disgrace.

Bruce