[RP TownTalk] Human Computer Interaction Lab: children's searching study

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:49:13 UTC 2009

[Apologies for reposting. But if you do decide to forward this
message, please use this version instead.]

I'm writing on behalf of some colleagues in the Human Computer
Interaction Lab at the University of Maryland. (I'm an affiliate of
this lab, and quite familiar with their work on how children use
computers.)

They are currently doing a study on how children use search engines
(and Google, in particular) to find information on the internet. If
you have a child who is 7, 9, or 11, they would be really grateful for
your help. They come to your house and interview you about your kids'
computer use, and then they interview your kid while video taping them
doing internet searches. The idea is to observe how children search
for information in the environment where they normally do that.

Both my kids participated in the study, and it was fun! They also
learned from it, so that was an added benefit. If you want to ask me
about it, you can feel free to contact me off list and I'll tell you
what it was like. (sarah.wayland at gmail.com, 301-927-7407)

Also, please forward this to any other e-mail listserves you might
know about - they are trying to recruit 120 participants for the
study.

-Sarah

---- From the attached flier ----

Tell Google how to improve their search engine!
Do you have children ages 7, 9, or 11? We’re researching how children
search using the internet.

If you and your child would like to participate, please call us at
(301) 405-7406 or email Beth or Leshell at hcil.search at gmail.com or
visit http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/KidsSearch/

For more information about our lab or our sponsoring faculty, visit
www.cs.umd.edu/hcil or www.umiacs.umd.edu/~allisond