[RP TownTalk] Town vs County Law

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Tue Mar 3 03:44:01 UTC 2009

Rob,

I did a little research on this myself, and your source at MML seems, from my
interpretation of what I've read, to have exaggerated a little bit.  I'm not
going to discuss zoning (which is a whole separate legal mess all by itself)
but Article 23A, section 2B of the Maryland Code (available, with some
digging, at
http://www.michie.com/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=mdcode
(scroll down on the bottom left pane until you start seeing Article numbers))

states, in part:
(c)  Municipal legislation making county legislation inapplicable.-
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (b)(3) of this section, county
legislation enacted in accordance with the procedures and requirements thereof
shall nevertheless be or become inapplicable in any municipality which has
enacted or enacts municipal legislation that:

(1) Covers the same subject matter and furthers the same policies as the
county legislation;
(2) Is at least as restrictive as the county legislation; and
(3) Includes provisions for enforcement.

My reading of (c)(2), above, is that if the county council has dotted its i's
and crossed its t's just right (my eyes were glazing reading over (b)(3)), the
only way the council can overrule it is to be at least as restrictive as the
county legislation.  As you stated, determining whether the town can make a
particular piece of county legislation "inapplicable" is probably best left to
a lawyer.

Best,

Alan