[RP TownTalk] Master Peace Community Farm Update

Vinnie Bevivino bevivino at umd.edu
Fri Mar 6 13:46:13 UTC 2009

Its been quite some time since we've last given you an update, but boy
do we have a lot of exciting news!

New Employee!
We're in the final stages of employing a new Education Coordinator at
the Farm.  This person will be responsible for coordinating the
community gardeners, teaching gardening and cooking classes open to
the public in the Farm, coordinating youth education, and conducting
cooking demonstrations at the nearby Riverdale Farmers Market.
Because we haven't quite sealed the deal, we'll give more information
on that in a bit.

New Position!
Because of the new employee, Vinnie Bevivino's position has changed
from, well, coordinating everything, to managing the Farm's production
and marketing, and using the Farm as a demonstration to promote urban
farming throughout Maryland.  This means that more food will be grown
at the Farm, and other communities that want to start a similar
project can get the help they need to get growing.

We're Teaching!
Even with snow on the ground, we started our spring teaching this
week.  We started teaching middle school students from William Wirt
Middle School during the day in their science classes.  They learned
about the science of seed germination and then helped us plant lettuce
and spinach seeds in the high tunnel and chile peppers in containers
for the greenhouse.  Next week we're starting a program with GEMS
(Girls Excelling in Math and Science), where middle school girls are
going to set up an experiment that compares the growth of lettuce in
and outside of a greenhouse, all culminating in a salad party at the
end of the year.  Who new that science could taste so good?

Its Spring!
You wouldn't know it from last weekend, but warm weather is here.
Yesterday was beautiful outside, today is beautiful, and the weekend
is going to be just amazing.  So, we have some volunteer opportunities
for those that are just plain sick of winter and want to get outside
to get dirty.  There's lots of work to be done to get the Farm ready
for spring.
- I know its short notice, but this Saturday, the 7th from 1 to 4 pm,
a group of 10 University students are going to be coming to volunteer,
and you're invited too!
- March 21st from 10am to 3pm is the beginning of our Saturday
volunteer hours.  This day will be our first 	official opening of the
Farm, and we're trying to get lots of  people out for that day to help
get it ready for the	community gardeners and ready to plant for
market.  Also, we will be handing out community garden plot
applications that day, so come by and get one.  We already have a
group of University students coming, we've told lots of middle school
students, and now we just need you!  It'll be a fun work day together.

Finally, we've been selling lots of produce already this year to
restaurants.  If you are on campus today, swing by the Maryland Food
Coop in the Stamp Student Union and ask for some spinach paneer,
because the spinach is from us.  We've been selling lots of vegetables
from our high tunnel, which has been growing greens all winter long.
We will start selling our produce at the Riverdale Park Farmers Market
starting April 9th.

Thanks for reading, we're very excited about the season, and hope to
see you out in the Farm soon!

-Vinnie Bevivino and the Master Peace Community Farm Staff
Center for Educational Partnership
62nd and Sheridan Street
Riverdale, Maryland

The Master Peace Community Farm is a project of The Engaged
University, an organization within Maryland Cooperative Extension.