[RP TownTalk] Master Peace Community Farm Photos!

Vinnie Bevivino bevivino at umd.edu
Mon Mar 23 19:39:05 UTC 2009

Thank you!
Thanks so everyone who came out and contributed on Saturday to the
opening of the Master Peace Community Farm.  A special thanks to the
Alternative Spring Break group who came out all day, a group of 15 UMD
students who spent their spring break doing service with organizations
that are working around the Chesapeake Bay.

At one point we had 45 people, all working to weed, plant, and mulch
our beds.  Here are some pictures of the day:

1) University students and some (young) community gardeners preparing
the community garden beds.

2) More of the young gardeners, tools in hand.

3)  Community volunteers planting kale in the youth garden.

4) All ages and types of people were working to prepare the beds for
spring planting.

5)  There were so many people at some times that the paths were too
narrow for everyone!

Upcoming Events:
Saturdays, 10am to 3pm, This was the first of our Saturday work days.
If you want to come out and volunteer, please do so any Saturday from
10am to 3pm, now until Thanksgiving!

March 27th, 1pm, We are hosing the statewide kick off of Grow It Eat
It, a Maryland Cooperative Extension program to educate more
Marylanders to grow their own fresh vegetables.  Come out to learn
more about this impressive and important initiative being organized by
our Master Gardeners.

April 9th, 3 to 7pm, We're starting to sell at the Riverdale Park
Farmers Market!  The season is starting three weeks earlier than last,
and we're ready for it with lots of spinach, salad mix, collards,
kale, cabbage, and vegetable plants.  See you then!

-Vinnie Bevivino and the Master Peace Community Farm staff
Center for Educational Partnership
62nd and Sheridan Street
Riverdale, Maryland

The Master Peace Community Farm is a project of The Engaged
University, an organization within Maryland Cooperative Extension.