[RP TownTalk] More on Memories

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Sun May 24 01:57:57 UTC 2009

As we are in the midst of the Memorial Day weekend, I have to add one more
name to the list of those who have been part of the Town's past and deserve
to  be remembered -- that person is Mabelle Munch.

Mrs. Munch became, in her 70s, the first woman elected to office in the
Town.  She served as a councilmember.  She lived on Riverdale Road in  the
house now occupied by Miles ?________.  She was dedicated to gardening  and
initiated the development of the triangular park at the Town Center (it was
originally named New York Avenue Park).  Mrs. Munch could be seen there
wielding her hoe and directing young boys (she paid out of her own pocket)  to
weed and plant a colorful array of flowers.  The Town had a sign  prepared and
erected, naming the park for her.  Mrs. Munch was "fit to be  tied" and
ordered that the sign be removed -- saying that she did the work  because it
was needed, not to be praised for it.

Mabelle Munch died at the age of 90+ -- a year after her death I received a
 call at the Town office from a longtime resident asking if we could
reinstall  the Munch Park sign.   I agreed and, to my delight, found that Frank
Freshley, the Public Works Supervisor, had kept the original sign in storage
and  was able to install it that same day!!

May I add that Frank Freshley is another person who was well respected by
residents for his work.  He was out there in rain and shine (and snow and
sleet) to see that trash and ice and snow were removed.

**************A strong credit score is 700 or above. See Yours in Just 2
Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585033x1201462753/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&b
cd=Maystrongfooter52309NO115)