[RP TownTalk] Proposed Change for Riverdale Elementary School Boundaries

Dannielle Glaros dmglaros at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 02:05:49 UTC 2009

Friends,

I just wanted to share with you the proposed boundary changes for Riverdale
Elementary.  As you know, I am incredibly proud of Riverdale Elementary--its
staff and kids--for everything they have accomplished and I hope you will
participate in this year's open house again, which will be early next year
and consider volunteering with the school.  With that said, the school is
tremendously overcrowded especially when you consider that most classrooms
still have the 70's "open" classroom format.  Last month a new outdoor
classoom was added, decreasing again the outdoor space available for play.
Space is also made difficult because the school still has one classroom for
6 graders.  And, already a significant number of students are bused
elsewhere for pre-k.

The School Board has recommended boundary changes for the school as part of
boundary changes for the entire northern area.  The proposal would send kids
west of the traintracks to University Park Elementary to attempt to decrease
enrollment at Riverdale Elementary.  All other kids who currently attend
Riverdale Elementary will stay.  More details can be found at
http://www1.pgcps.org/phasetwo/ as well as next week's hearing dates, which
I encourage you to attend if you have an opinion on this matter.

Personally, I believe that the proposed changes make sense except that they
do not go far enough to address overcrowding.  The school will still remain
overcrowded after the proposed changes.

Take care and I hope to see you at the upcoming public hearings.

Dannielle
4800 Sheridan St
--
Dannielle Glaros