[RP TownTalk] Sint Niklaas visits Riversdale

Samantha Ferris Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Wed Nov 18 18:28:19 UTC 2009

Hello all!

It's hard to believe it's "that time of year" again! As the hustle and
bustle of the season begins, Riversdale is once again ramping up for
some of our favorite December events!

Sint Niklaas will make his annual visit to Riversdale on Saturday,
December 5 at 10am. If you've been to our Sint Niklaas Day in the past,
you'll notice that this year, we're doing things a bit differently. Sint
Niklaas will be joining visitors and guests for breakfast! Rosalie Stier
Calvert, the mistress of Riversdale, celebrated her Flemish heritage and
would surely have told her children about Sint Niklaas, the Flemish
forerunner of our modern Santa Claus. In keeping with this tradition,
children ages 3-10 and their families are welcome to enjoy a
Belgian-inspired breakfast, make a craft, receive a gift bag, and visit
with Sint Niklaas. The kids-only section of our museum shop, where all
gifts are $4 and under, will also be open for business! Be sure to check
your childrens' backpacks for more info, as flyers should be distributed
throughout local schools shortly!

Space is limited and registration costs $5/adults & $8/children for
Prince George's & Montgomery County residents and $7/adults &
$10/children for non-residents. Register early to ensure a spot at this
fun & festive program!

Early next month keep your eyes open for information about the
Riversdale stop on Riverdale Park's Festival of Lights tour and our
annual Calverts by Candlelight!

For registration, questions, or if you're just looking for someone to
put a good word for you to Sint Niklaas, I'm your girl! Email at
Samantha.ferris at pgparks.com  or call the office at 301.864.0420.

See you all soon!

Samantha

Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
samantha.ferris at pgparks.com / www.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498