[RP TownTalk] Riversdale celebrates Edgar Allan Poe this month!!

Samantha Ferris Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Tue Oct 6 20:58:10 UTC 2009

As fall sets in and the weather begins to cool, you might find yourself
nostalgic for all the outdoor concerts, festivals, and fairs of
summertime. Riversdale has just the ticket for some autumn fun!  Though
we can boast no ghosts, we do have our own brand of macabre, eerie
events in keeping with the October spirit.

2009 marks the 200th anniversary of Edgar Allan Poe's birth. Charles
Benedict Calvert, the founder of UMDCP, who grew up at Riversdale,
attended the University of Virginia during the same period as Poe.

Riversdale is offering both an adult and children's Poe program! On
Friday, October 23 at 7:30, we invite guests 21 and over to "A Taste of
Amontillado". Even if it's been some years since it was required reading
in your high school English class, many of you are probably familiar
with Poe's classic tale, "The Cask of Amontillado". You will enjoy
period foods and beverages paired with macabre readings from Gothic
stories in the historic house. Reservations are $25 for Prince George's
& Montgomery County residents and $28 for the out-of-town Poe lover
you'd like to bring along. We already have quite a number of signups for
the event and it WILL sell out! Book your reservations early!!!

The following Friday, October 30, is a day off from school and
Riversdale continues its apprenticeship series with a very special Edgar
Allan Poe's Apprentice. Unlike our usual Hands-on History programs that
are open to kids 8-12, this one is open to 10-14 year olds. Participants
will learn about Poe as they listen to excerpts from his writings, make
a book, write with a quill pen, make appropriate funereal treats, and
let their imaginations go wild as they create an eerie Gothic diorama.
The program runs 10am - 3pm, with the regular cost of $15 for residents
and $18 for non-residents.

So, now that you're all excited about these great events, what should
you do to sign up? Just give a quick call over to our office at
301.864.0420 and we'll get you taken care of. If you have any questions,
you can email me or call the office.

Happy October!

Samantha

Samantha Ferris
Education & Administrative Assistant
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
samantha.ferris at pgparks.com / www.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498