[RP TownTalk] We the People

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 12:24:14 UTC 2010

I found the posts on our "new neighbors" in town very interesting and informative, whether or not I agree with them.  I read a book written some years back and the writer was talking with a border patrol officer who said of people crossing from Mexico to the US without proper papers, "they aren't criminals, they're just breaking the law."  Interesting way of putting it, right?  Whether or not we agree with people coming here without proper documentation, stop and think a minute - imagine yourself a poor worker from south of the border; you have NO prospects of improving your life, nor will your childrens' lives be any different.  Possibly you live in a country ruled by a dictatorship.  Maybe you saw one or both of your parents taken out by government officials, kidnappers, whoever, and never saw them again?  I'm not saying you have to agree with what these people are doing, but just try to put yourself in their place and say with all honesty
 that if you had any chance at all to improve your life or your childrens' lives by heading into the US that you wouldn't try it?  I know I would.  Over the years I've talked with people from many other countries and when you talk to people who've fled the Pol Pot regime, who've fled Cuba, and so on, some of their stories would make you sick what they and their families endured.

Anyhow, there's nothing new under the sun; some of my ancestors were Irish and if you look at this countrys' history there were times when "no Irish need apply" signs were all over the place.  Gangs?  Yep, those were around, as well.  Each ethnic community in each city apparently had gangs.  And.... even farther back - let's put ourselves in the place of the Indians who were here when our people first jumped off that boat;  Can't you hear them now?  "Look at this, these people are coming here uninvited, next thing you know, they'll be bringing their whole families.  They don't want to adapt to OUR ways, they want to bring in THEIR ways and language. " Does that sound familiar.

As for some of the laws being passed in other States, etc.; I work with people from many, many other countries, and they're all here legally; it makes me sick to think that my co-workers could be stopped on the street, detained, maybe even arrested, until they could prove they're here legally just because they look "different."

NOTE: I'm talking about people who are coming here to better their lives, which is what most of these people are trying to do; needless to say, I'm in no way in favor of people coming here for purposes of terrorism, setting up gangs, etc.

Think of the richness of diversity we have here in town, in our people, our environment, even our architecture.  Goes without saying there will always be problems; but even with the problems, I'll take the great variety we have here over some cookie-cutter-everybody-looks and acts the same towns.