[RP TownTalk] Some info & opportunities for any urban farming enthusiasts out there - open house this weekend!

Zach Feris zferis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 16:56:16 UTC 2010

Hi neighbors,

I've been volunteering for a local non-profit called Engaged Community
Offshoots (ECO), which is doing some really great work in Prince George's
County. Some of you are likely already aware of their work with the recent
Sowing Seeds Urban Ag Summit and their veggie sales at the Farmers' Market.
Their website is http://www.ecoffshoots.org/

I wanted to share that ECO is partnering with the Prince George's Community
College to teach a six week course called "Commercial Urban Agriculture",
where students will learn the basics of business plan development,
composting at multiple scales, hoop house construction, and marketing and
selling urban farm products. Classes are either Tuesday nights from 5pm to
8pm, or Saturday from 10am to 1pm, starting after Labor Day. All classes
will be on the Engaged Community Offshoots urban farms in Edmonston and
College Park, MD. For more information on this course, please visit:
http://www.ecoffshoots.org/projects-2/urban-farmer-training/

I'd also like to encourage those who are interested to come and check out
ECO's unbelievable urban farm, just down Kenilworth Rd in Edmonston. They're
having an open house this Saturday, Aug. Aug 21st, with free food, games and
tours from 10am to noon. Or, if you can't make it this weekend, visit them
during one of their farm volunteer days to see what they're doing, learn how
they're doing it, and meet some great people. Drop by any time - Mondays and
Thursdays from 8am to noon, and Saturdays from 9am to 3pm. The farm is
located at 4913 Crittenden Street, Edmonston, MD. For more information on
volunteering, please visit:
http://www.ecoffshoots.org/projects-2/volunteer-with-us/

Hope to see you there!

Zach Feris