[RP TownTalk] spam in the name of TownTalk

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 00:33:59 UTC 2010

Friends and neighbors -
It looks like at least some folks have received a spam email or two that
looks like it came through the TownTalk list. If indeed it did come through
the list I sincerely apologize! (By the way,just so you know, there are
dozens, sometimes hundreds of these a day that i get to look at and sort
through to pass judgment on).

To the best of my knowledge I did not forward any of these to the list. I
could be wrong, one may have slipped through and, again, I apologize for
that. The one that showed up in my wife's email has *nothing* in the to:
line. the subj line includes the usual [RP TownTalk] line but it looks like
somehow the spammers got an address list from somebody's machine that
includes people who have posted to the list and whose addresses are thus
included as addressees (as a function of people using "reply all" which then
sends the message to the list as a whole AND to previous posters on that
thread.).  If my hypothesis is correct, you may have received this spam msg,
but it did not go to the list as a whole.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has received one of these spam
msgs today could  pleast take a look at the email and letme know (off list)
what is in the TO: field - i.e., who is the message addressed to.

Meanwhile, I will attempt to remain vigilant!

Your list moderator,

Dwight Holmes