[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Special Snow Update from Councilman Eric Olson

David Lingua djlingua at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 17:36:53 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mayah, Thomas S. <TSMayah at co.pg.md.us>

Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM
Subject: Special Snow Update from Councilman Eric Olson

Friends,

I wanted to send you an update during the snow emergency.  Please
forward to your neighborhood lists.  There are several messages I want to
share:

(1) Several families in our county have experienced carbon monoxide poisoning,
due to improper use of methods to heat their home when power was lost.
Carbon monoxide is a deadly colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas.
Please do not use gas generators or grills inside your house.  More
information from the fire department is below.

(2) The Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPWT) is working
hard to clear roads.  DPWT is urging residents to please remain patient
with efforts to clear residential streets.  Due to the scale of the storm
and heaviness of the snow, plowing throughout the region and in the County is
moving slowly.  Until last night, DPWT was focused mainly on plowing
primary roadways. They are now starting to reach residential streets, but it
will take some time to reach all streets.  Their efforts have been
hindered by cars being stranded and downed trees and power lines, which takes
away from their ability to plow effectively. More details on their message are
included below.

(3) Trash collection has been suspended for Monday because equipment from
the landfill is being used to help clear snow in residential areas and many
streets are still impassable.

(4) Please be careful when clearing snow.  It is very strenuous
work that can increase the risk of heart attacks.  Take breaks and please
assist neighbors who may be seniors.  More information on snow removal can
be found at: http://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/Government/AgencyIndex/DPW&T/Snow-Ice/guide.asp?nivel=foldmenu(3)

My staff and I are monitoring the office voicemail and emails even if
we are not immediately available in the office.  Take care and please call
my office at 301-952-3060, if you need assistance.

Eric C. Olson

County
 Councilman

District 3

301-952-3060

Carbon Monoxide Warning: Another Family
Exposed to CO from Gasoline Generator

For the second time since the winter
storm; a family was overcome by carbon monoxide (CO) as a result of operating a
gasoline generator in their home.

At around 8:00 PM, Sunday, February 7,
2010, a 911 call was received from an occupant of a home in the 7900 block of Hart Road in Oxon Hill.  When firefighters and paramedics arrived
they found five occupants of the home displaying symptoms of CO
poisoning.  They also found that a gasoline generator had been operating
in the home.  CO levels were detected at 250 parts per million
(ppm).  Any level above 35-40 ppm is considered unhealthy.  Prolonged
exposure at this high level of 250 ppm would result in serious illness and
death.

Three young patients, all under the age
of 14, were transported to a hospital specializing in the treatment of
children.  Two teenagers were also transported to a hospital for treatment
of CO poisoning.  All the patients appeared to be in good condition;
however, medical attention with hyperbaric treatment will be required.

On Saturday, February 6, 2010, at about
7:45 PM, a Landover Hills family of six was overcome by high levels of CO and
transported to area hospitals.  This incident occurred at a single family
home in the 4100 block of 70th
  Avenue.  Firefighters and paramedics arrived
to find six family members experiencing signs and symptoms consistent with
carbon monoxide poisoning.  Firefighters used equipment to test the
atmosphere and detected a reading of 200 parts per million inside the
home.

In both incidents, homes were without electricity as there
was a power outage in the area due to downed power lines. Firefighters
discovered both families were using a gasoline powered generator inside of
their home.  These generators produce a large amount of CO in a very short
period of time and should not be used inside of any structure.

Fire Chief Eugene A. Jones is
warning citizens and residents by stressing, “Operating a gasoline generator in
your home is as dangerous as you can get.  By continuing this unsafe
action will cause illness that could lead to death of you and your loved ones.
These actions need to stop immediately.”

A Message from DPWT
Spokesperson
Susan Hubbard (received Sunday
evening)

Many of you have been e-mailing and calling as to when plows will
arrive on your residential streets, as well as to inform us that DPWT
plowed a street or two in your community or plowed the next neighborhood, but
not your street, so I am sending an update e-mail to try to answer your
questions because it is really, really busy right now.

We are on the primary roads. Plowing and pushing was done all day and
is still being done tonight; and, we will be salting/treating throughout the
night.  We have been trying to begin to address residential streets,
but have to send a "big" truck with a "little" truck
and we cannot pull the bigger trucks off the primaries just yet. So, the
trucks might do a few thru streets in your neighborhood or the next one, but we
have by no means targeted some, but not others. DPWT is beginning to go
into neighborhoods, but will not be able to really redirect trucks off
primaries onto residential streets until later tomorrow
(Monday).  The County understands that you may need to get out for
various reasons - doctors' appointments, shopping, work, etc., but we have to
keep asking you to be patient.  Crews are working hard and this was a
large storm with a heavy, wet snow.  Cars on the roads today held up
progress not only for us, but for all our colleagues at the
state and in other jurisdictions because many were getting stuck, so crews
had to stop and help or go around them. DPWT is working with the fire
department to ensure passage for medical emergencies.  Please help us by
parking on only the even side of your street and keeping snow removed from cars
and sidewalks out of the street.

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George’s County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit Court proprietary information, which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

--
David J. Lingua
Councilman, Ward 3