[RP TownTalk] Field of Dreams Update

Bruce Wernek bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 18 22:08:46 UTC 2010

I think it's pretty apparent that the nets are not going to be taken down
from time to time.  Rather than devote all of these resource to minding the
nets, why not change them.  Golf courses uses nets which are designed to
stop golf balls and not injure birds.  The Paint Branch golf course on
University Blvd uses this type of net around their driving range.  I walk
Edgar (dog) just about every Saturday morning along the bike path next to
the driving range and I have never seen a bird or any other animal tangled
in the nets.  These nets are ~30 ft high and hundreds of yards long.  Why
not purchase this type of netting and install it at the Field of Dreams?
This way the police can spend their time policing, the councilman from Ward
2 can spend his time governing, and the residents can spent their time on
more productive pursuits.  Given the level of effort required to mind the
nets and possible punitive ordinances, this will be the cheapest solution to
the problem.

Paint Branch golf course used to a have similar net surrounding the pond to
the west of the driving range.  It was removed a little over a year ago.
This net may have been stored so that it could be used to repair the net
surrounding the driving range.  This being the case, the folks at Paint
Branch golf course may not mind donating  a small section to the Town given
that the net was ~30 ft high by ~100 yards long.  At the very least, Paint
Branch golf course can provide the Town with contact information for the
purchase of this type of netting.  I can't imagine it costing more than a
few hundred dollars.

Bruce