[RP TownTalk] Patch wants to know about you're upcoming celebrations.

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Jul 27 02:56:45 UTC 2010

Except Dwight in this case the "treasure", patch.com or the "service",
is owned and operated by a for-profit organization, Patch Media
Corporation. (See www.http://patch.com/terms)

The clutter and where they are trolling for content to increase their
value is a resource owned and operated by Riverdale Park. I do not
believe the town has chosen to endorse Patch Media Corp. nor open
themselves to also allowing other for-profit social networks to use the
town's (our) resources. For example see Washington Post "Facebook's
quest to grow revenues apace with membership"
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2010/07/facebooks_quest_to_grow_revenu.html

You may think it is treasure, I think it is an illegal use of public
resources by a for-profit organization that is not even based in our
community.  In some circles the post by patch.com employees could be
considered "comment spam" who's primary purpose is to get their name on
our server so when spiders go through our content for indexing they see
the references to patch and that raises patch's ranking by the search
engines. (reference most SEO text).

And lastly, under what value system is a request for information a
"treasure"? They have provided no information - just a thinly veiled add
for their "service" i.e. clutter in a public space.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org