[RP TownTalk] Fw: [HOPE_in_Hyattsville] CALL FOR ARTISTS -- IMPORTANT EXHIBIT

David Lingua djlingua at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 22:06:22 UTC 2010

--- On Mon, 7/26/10, edoubleqbana <edoubleqbana at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: edoubleqbana <edoubleqbana at yahoo.com>
Subject: [HOPE_in_Hyattsville] CALL FOR ARTISTS -- IMPORTANT EXHIBIT
To: HOPE_in_Hyattsville at yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 10:21 PM

3:1

CALL FOR ENTRIES
(Please feel free to forward to artists you think may be interested!)

3:1 (3 disasters, 1 decade)

AUG 2010

DETAILS:

Exhibit Name:
3:1

Exhibit Focus:
Hurricane Katrina, Earthquake in Haiti, and Gulf Oil Disaster

Artwork Drop-Off Date: Thursday, August 12th from 11am-6pm

Deinstall/Art- work Pick-Up Date: Sunday, September 5th from 4-5pm

Tentative Reception Date: Sunday, August 22nd from 4-7pm

Address:
DesignStudioArtGall ery
5702 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville, MD20781
301-779-4907 o / 202-446-7373 m
www.designstudioart gallery.com

Selection Process:
A jury of 3 individuals will select entries.

Commission Structure:
20% donated to charity (TBA), 50% for the artists
30% commission for gallery

-Donations will be accepted at door (100% of donations received will be donated to charity).

Submission Fee:
$13 per entry

Submission requirements:
Artists must submit images of 2d or 3d works in the following size: width @ 480 pixels, height @ 378 pixels. If the work does not conform to those sizes, please adjust size closest to that measurement. We want images size-ready so we can easily upload them to our website. Any ideas specifically regarding a special, planned installation must be explained in a minimum of 2 paragraphs along with images of works.

We are searching for works of art that reflect environmental devastation, capture the mood of the moment to serve as a constant reminder that we are all human and the aftermath of these tragedies should have been lessened, and capture the political and social elements that essentially reflect our nature, mold our decisions, and often shape our future. We are interested in conceptual, process, performance, and representational art on or about the subject of these 3 disasters that have occurred in 1 decade. We would like you to step outside the box to get the viewer to think about these recent disasters in various ways.

Submit all entries to info at designstudioar tgallery. com

When I think of the three disasters that have occurred in the past decade, I grow frustrated, sad, disenchanted, and even angry. The damages resulting from Hurricane Katrina, the Earthquake in Haiti, and the Gulf Oil Disaster could have been mitigated if basic safety precautions had been implemented. When human lives are at stake, why is it so difficult to do the right thing? When it comes to our planet, why do we hesitate and resist change that will result in better environmental situations? Why do we risk lives, our planet, and our dignity by allowing deep pockets to dictate our sense of purpose and justify our course of action? Why is everything so political?

Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina devastated parts of Louisiana. The damaging effects of this natural disaster could have been mitigated. Response time for emergency aid after the storm should have been more adequate. If proper actions were taken to secure the levee system the damages would have been drastically reduced. Why was this never thoroughly addressed when human lives were as stake? How are people coping and moving forward? How do you capture the mood of the moment, the feelings of the people, and the horror of the event and its aftermath? How do you get society to do the right thing?

Earthquake in Haiti
The Earthquake in Haiti is another example of a natural disaster where damages could have been less severe. Several of the damages and casualties could have been avoided if proper building codes and appropriate government oversight was in place. Why can't knowledge be shared? Why can't we have a universal, shared pool of knowledge regarding basic things such as shelter? What does it mean to be neighbors? Why is there such disparity among certain countries, states, and neighbors?

Gulf Oil Disaster

As my friend, neighbor, and artdc Gallery owner Jesse Cohen, whose August exhibit "drill, baby drill," points out, we are a nation dependent on petroleum and it is still essential to our economy. He notes that "in 2009, the U.S. consumed nearly 5.2 billion barrels of crude oil.  Petroleum will remain essential to the economy for years to come." How can we get our population to recognize the essential need to lessen our dependency on oil? What can we do right now to begin implementation of alternative energy sources? Why is there hesitation to explore this viable alternative approach which will result in job creation and clean energy?

We look forward to receiving your entries,

 Design Studio Art Gallery Staff!
(Erica, Nancy, Justin, Jenna, Marjorie, and Dana)
__._,_.___

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:

New Members 3
New Photos 1
Visit Your Group
Follow on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/HOPEHyattsFB
Follow on Twitter - Search for "HOPEHyattsville"
Hyattsville Services Database:  http://tinyurl.com/HyattsvilleDatabase

MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.